Chapter Nine

Blake places an iced tea on the table before taking a seat beside me

Blake places an iced tea on the table before taking a seat beside me. He sips from his bottle of beer as he immerses into a conversation with Ben. He talks about the struggles of University while Blake nods his head with pretend interest.

After Blake's shocking scores at school, there was no way he'd get into University. Of course, he had other options, but he shrugged his shoulders and decided construction was a better fit for him. I think Thomas always wanted him to follow in that pursuit.

Me on the other hand, unsure of life, teen pregnancy, grief, the black sheep of the family, to engaged and loving mother of a cheeky toddler made things interesting.  

Then again, there would be no Blake, so there goes my mother's best friend. And we wouldn't have London to fawn over, so there goes some of thenew found happiness in her life. Of course, Thomas and Dad are best buddies, beer, and sport on the weekend, pub lunches during the week. So hey, maybe I did do something right?

I could be anyone, anything, anywhere, but I'm just me, Ava Greyson, or soon to be Ava Rivers. I don't know how I'll adjust to the name change after so many years of being a Greyson. It'll be nice though; new name, new life.

"You both look bored," Axel comments. "Should I save you or Blake?"

"Oh shoot, do I?" I grab the iced tea and sip on the cool liquid. "Save me. Blake can handle his best friend for the night, I can't."

Axel vigorously nods his head. "You look seconds away from falling asleep, although, I don't blame you. Ben is always talking about University, he doesn't know when to shut up. I fell asleep the other night listening to all the work he has."

"Let me guess, he flipped it when he noticed you snoring?"  

"I even have the bruise." Axel lifts his t-shirt sleeve to reveal the remains of the dulling brown bruise.

"How about we play a game of pool?" 

"Sure, I'll even let you win this time." He chuckles.

"Please don't, we can't afford to be here all night." I shake my head.

We take our drinks and nab a pool table. Axel grabs the wooden sticks and passes one to me. I lean it against the edging of the pool table and help Axel round up the balls.

"Do you remember how to play? You were intoxicated that first time. You almost knocked out a passer-by with the cue stick."

"Uh, I don't remember doing that." I frown. "What I remember, is that you shouldn't sink the white one and the object of the game is to knock the opponents balls into the pockets."

"Yes, that's right." He nods. "If you sink, I drink, vice versa and if the white one is sunk, then you drink double. Ready to play?"

I glance towards Blake and then nod. Ben utilises hand gestures to get his point across, there's no going back. We will be here for another three hours.