Chapter Twelve

The growing crowd before me is a wonderful yet crazy mix of strange and familiar faces

The growing crowd before me is a wonderful yet crazy mix of strange and familiar faces. A few uncles and cousins I've seen in passing gatherings back when Logan was alive, to people from Blake's family which stand out because of the similarities in physical appearance.

Blake's grandfather is an easy spot – not just from the same shade of hair colour but the fact he's positioned in the middle of a crowd with relatives from either side. His facial expressions are vibrant along with his use of tone which continues to keep his audience of onlookers satisfied.

"He's been a heartthrob since the moment he was born. I remember the cheeky grin that made woman swoon on the spot. It's never changed and so I was shocked when Angela announced their engagement." The man skilfully has the crowd chuckling.

The subtle touch of my mother's hand on my shoulder has me jumping to attention. I tilt my head to the side and wait for her to explain re-say her previous comment. She gives me an odd glance which makes their onlooking gaze of my grandmother and aunty intimidating.

"Ava, who did you have in mind?" she asks.

"I'm sorry, I missed your comment. It's just so loud in here." I softly smile.

"Your aunt was curious about who you picked for your bridesmaids," she replies.

I adjust my gaze to my aunt and tug on the brightest smile I can foster. "I've got a collection of girls in mind, Nora included. I just want to ask them together and with a gift. However, I haven't worked out a fun way and Nora just arrived from Sydney," I answer.

"Aw, I'm sure she'll be thrilled to be in your bridal party!"

"I'm very excited to have her! It's been a while since we've hung out, so it's giving us another excuse to catch up."

"Yes." She laughs. "Nora has been so busy with her University studies."

I slip out of the conversation when it slips to University – something I can't relate to. Even if Blake and I never dated, there's no way I'd have gone to University. I just hate that people think I ruined my life because I never attended or that I'm not smart enough for their intellect conversations.

"Enough about that crap. I want to know when there will be more grandbabies," my grandmother interjects. "I'm not getting any younger, in fact, I'm old. Time waits for nobody and neither do I."

Her bluntness has me chocking on a fit of laughter. Even though I don't get to see her very often, she never fails to make me laugh or at least smile. I also assume that's where I get my bluntness from. She's never bothered to dance around the obvious but strike when the iron is hot.

"You, Blake and the rest of the world, or so it seems," I laugh. "Otherwise, I'm not too sure. We've been busy with everything, it's slipped my mind."

The lie makes me feel uneasy but it's the best answer I can give. Blake has never been into planning these things. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if I end up pregnant now since that seems to be the pattern with us.