Chapter Fourteen

The sound of feet shuffling against the ground alerts me to Blake's presence

The sound of feet shuffling against the ground alerts me to Blake's presence. He squeezes my shoulder as he heads to the kitchen. I place the glue stick on the table and turn my attention to him.

"How's she doing?" I question.

Blake tiredly drags his fingers through his hair, then lets out a rough exhale.

"I've checked under the bed and in the wardrobe three times, but she's still terrified there's monsters living in them. I've read four bedtime stories and now I'm making hot chocolate," he explains.

"It reminds me of when she was little." I happily sigh. "We're going to need to do something else, these tricks aren't working. Mum suggested getting a teddy to put at the end of her bed."

"Sure, because I'm not sure what else to do." Blake shrugs.

"We could take her shopping on the weekend before we go to your parents," I suggest.

"Mm, sounds like a good idea." He faintly smiles.

Blake grabs a microwavable jug out of the cupboard and fills it with milk. While he faffs around with the hot chocolate, I return to my craft project.

Since I'm only getting married once, or so I hope, I want something cute to give the girls when I ask them to be my bridesmaids. So far, I think London could do a better job than the disaster of pink and silver glitter mess I've constructed.

I toss the card aside and start fresh. If I keep practicing, I'll make something that looks worthy of my bridesmaid box. Or, I dash to the shops and find something of better quality.

A flash of blue makes me jerk to the side. Blake laughs as he places the mug on the table beside my mess of scrap paper.

"Thought you'd like one as well," he says.

"Thank you! I just wasn't expecting it." I laugh.

"I'm sure that wasn't supposed to be an insult, but it hurts none the less." Blake softly chuckles.

"No, I'd never do that! Who'd bring me food and drinks?" I giggle.

"Very true." He nods.

"Do you want some help with London?" I ask.

"No, I'll be right. You should focus on your cards so that they're ready for tomorrow."

Even though he says things are fine, I can see the exhaustion in his body. I want to ease it away but it's a tough time with us.

Wedding prep is hard, finances suck despite our parents help, work is exhausting and now London can't sleep and it takes hours to get her off to bed.

"Come on, we'll read her one more story and then that's it. She takes advantage of your soft side." I laugh.

"She's a cheeky one – I can't so no to any of the women in my light."

I poke my tongue out and then smile. Blake leans down and presses his lips against mine. They're soft, warm and inviting.