Chapter Twenty

My stomach knots as the tyres bump against the driveway

My stomach knots as the tyres bump against the driveway. I inhale a deep breath and look at Blake. He turns the engine off and stares at me.

"Why does our perfect weekend have to end like this?" I frown.

"Because our mothers were busy and couldn't pick Lo up."

"Really?" I sigh. "Did you tell them the severity of the situation?"

"I even asked Jude, offered him one free favour for later on in life. He was busy too. I think he's just avoiding Tori for the moment."

"Damn it. Next time, we only agree to go away if someone can pick London up."

"Sounds like good thinking." He nods. "Until then, we have to suck it up and face Tori."

"We? No, only one of us needs to be in there and that's you." I snicker.

"For better or for worse." Blake smirks.

"I just had a thought." I smile. "Being single with ten cats sounds great! I'll never have to see, speak or deal with Tori again. You know what, all my other issues dissolve too."

"Ava." He grips my knee. "Please come with me, I need your support."

"Fine." I huff. "But don't think she won't say anything just because I'm there. She goes through me to talk to you."

Blake shakes his head. "You can yawn or fake an emergency."

"Just know, you owe me a big favour."

He leans over the console and plants a kiss on my lips. I cup his cheek to hold him in place. Although, he tugs back and cheekily smiles.

"Now you're just prolonging the whole thing."

"Shh, I like kissing you."

"Come on, Ava."

"Ugh, give a woman a moment to mentally prepare herself. I am walking into enemy territory."

"Mentally prepare yourself quicker."

Blake pushes his door open and slides out of the car. I inhale one more deep breath before slipping out and following him to the front door. My heart thuds away – I've never been so scared of a door before.

He knocks and within a few seconds, the door swings open, revealing Ben on the other side. He smiles cheerily as he motions for us to come inside.

"You're just in time. I want you to meet someone I've been seeing because I value your thoughts."

Blake stains a happy smile as he nods his head. This isn't Blake's version of quickly grabbing London. I imagine it would be the kind where London leaps into the car and he speeds down the road, nothing but dust and the smell of burnt tyres left behind.

"Only if it's quick. I have a little one to take home and feed, oh, and London." Blake chuckles.

"Aw, Blakie, you know me so well." I take his hand to kiss the back of it.