Chapter Eighteen

Blake smacks my hand away from the panel that controls the car's cooling system

Blake smacks my hand away from the panel that controls the car's cooling system. I wrap my fingers around his wrist and shove his arm in his direction. Once it's out of the way, I turn the dial and smile as the cold air passes my flushed cheeks.

"You do realise its freezing cold in the car right? I need to be conscious to drive and right now, I think my fingers are about to fall off."

"Then move the vents away from your hands."

"I don't understand why you're so embarrassed."

"Because . . . You clearly don't understand." I shake my head.

"Baby, it was just a joke, so laugh." He chuckles.

"Even if I start laughing, it's not going to change how I feel. I mean, your Mum was shouting out 'be extra safe, think about that wedding dress' to our whole neighbourhood."

"It could mean you're on a diet, those are popular around the time people get married."

"Thank you, but that isn't helping." I sigh.

I sink deeper into the car seat as I turn my attention to the passing scenery. The houses have faded to bushland as we get further away from the city and all of the problems I was supposed to leave behind. Right now, it feels like they're sitting in the back seat with my bags.

"Seriously, I doubt anyone heard what she said. People have jobs, sleeping or they probably don't care. Sex isn't a sin and we're getting married – it's what married people do."

"Maybe you're right." I shrug. "But she's also pretty loud, so the next neighbourhood probably heard her as well."

"Can you please stop worrying about it? This weekend is supposed to be stress-free and fun filled."

"If you're asking me that, then should we really get married?"

Blake reaches across and grabs my hand. He squeezes my fingers before tugging me closer – he brings my hand to his lips and kisses it. The soft feeling of his lips against my skin makes my heart flutter.

"Please don't say that, I love you so much."

"You're right, I'm sorry, I'll drop the topic."

"She didn't mean to embarrass you, then again, isn't that what our parents are for?" He chuckles. "Do you want me to talk to her about the comment? I can let her know those aren't acceptable."

"No, just forget about it! I think everything is getting to me, a little too much. You're right about this weekend, it should be relaxing and I'm being a downer."

"For better and for worse." Blake grins.

"I love you, Blake Rivers."

"You too, Greyson."

"Not future Mrs. Rivers." I giggle.

"I have the rest of my life to call you Mrs. Rivers."

"That's true." I nod.