Chapter Twenty-Two

Weeds pile up behind me as I move through the garden bed

Weeds pile up behind me as I move through the garden bed. I've never had a green thumb with plants, but owning a house comes with a whole new set of responsibilities. Paying bills, cooking dinner, weeding the garden, the never ending list of cleaning duties along with maintaining a work and social life along with being a parental figure and soon to be wife.

Despite those pesky things, owning something substantial, the freedom to do whatever we want, and being able to wake up beside Blake is amazing. Of course, watching London and Blake fight over a bubble machine reaches those top moments too.

These are my Friday afternoons as a partial homeowner. I do love them, even if I'm rendered exhausted from the long afternoon of tasks.

"You're the little one, you have to chase the bubbles," Blake explains. "And you also have to do what I say – I'm Simon Says."

"Please, Daddy." She pouts. "I want to play with the bubble machine."

"No, because you don't share the bubble machine. I'm not chasing you around the yard again."

"Are you two seriously still fighting over that thing?" I sigh. "I told you, Blake, we should have gotten a second one."

A smile stretches onto Blake's face. "We're having an amicable discussion about who gets to play with the bubble machine."

"Mm, that's not how it looks to me." I laugh.

Blake pouts which morphs into a frown when his phone rings. He passes the bubble machine to London before taking the call. She squeals with delight as she darts off like a rocket.

It's probably the best six dollars I've spent in my life.

He walks towards the pool which is just out of earshot. Blake's shoulders tense which causes a ripple of nerves to cascade through me. When the call ends, Blake tucks his phone into his pocket. He turns around and crouches down.

"Come here, baby girl." A beaming smile spreads across his lips as Blake holds his arms out.

She discards the bubble machine in favour of leaping into his arms. Blake swirls her around and she laughs with delight. He places her down and whispers something. London waits for Blake to covers his eyes before she races off.

I assume they're playing hide and seek due to Blake covering his eyes. I bet London is rushing to hide in our bedroom, that's been her favourite spot at the moment. She either hides under the bed beside my shoe box or squishes herself between the large European pillows on the bed.

The fascination of hiding in our bedroom is odd but I find it adorable.

I toss another weed onto the pile and remove my gloves. As I stagger to my feet, I brush the sand from my legs. Blake strides across the grass and nuzzles his face into my neck the moment my arms are wrapped around his waist. He squeezes me tightly and it's hard to breathe.