Prologue: Her Saving Amelia

______________

People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within. -Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

______________

Prologue: Her Saving Amelia

A girl that was only about 5 years old, with light brown hair, deep blue eyes and pale pink lips, sat on her back porch. She was in a good mood because her mother had taken her to get her favorite ice cream, chocolate brownie chunk. 

 Her mother also bought waffle cones so she wouldn't have to make a mess. Chocolate was running down her hands and all around her mouth. Her mother was tending to their vegetable garden outback as well. The door bell rang and her mother got up from her knees and dusted off her hands.

The little girl knew the new neighbors were coming over today. So her mother braided her hair into two pig tails and put on her peach dress and white dress shoes. The little girl tried her best not to get chocolate on her dress so every once in awhile she'd lick her fingers.

Her mother looked at her and laughed.

"Stay her Hailey." She walked into the house and Hailey watched until she could no longer see her mother.

Her father was away at a business meeting and wouldn't be back until dinner. Her older brother was on a fishing trip with their uncle and wouldn't be back until tomorrow. Hailey sat and looked at the garden pointing out vegetables she knew in her mind.

After a few minutes the back door opened and someone pushed her shoulders. She flew forward slightly and her scoop of ice cream fell on her lap.

She looked down at the chocolate scoop and felt tears in her eyes. She couldn't help her self. She was only five, it was expected of her to cry over dropped ice cream.

She stood up and it fell to the ground leaving a brown stain on her dress. The tears slid down her cheeks. She turned around to see a boy with dark brown mop top hair and blue green eyes turning red in the face from laughter.

"It's not funny!!" She cried and went into the house. "Mommy!!" She ran up to her mother who was talking to a girl with redish brown hair.

"What's wrong Hailey?" She looked down at her daughter.

"That mean boy made me drop my ice cream!!" She wiped her eyes.

She stepped back and showed her mother her dress.

"Oh my." She covered her mouth.

"Christian!!" The girl with reddish brown hair yelled.

Hailey looked at her and she looked older than her. Like one of the big kids. The boy named at Christian came in acting like nothing happened.

"Apologize!" She pointed to Hailey.

He looked at Hailey and they looked at her dress before looking at his older step-sister.

"Why should I? She's the one who dropped it." His voice hint no sign of his previous fits of laughter.

"No I didn't!! You pushed me!!" Hailey stomped her foot on the ground.

The girl with reddish brown hair gripped her younger step-brothers ear and yanked him towards her. He held back his yelp and leaned over slightly.

"I said apologize." Her voice held more authority to it.

Hailey couldn't help the smile that spread across her face. She hid it behind her hands and stood behind her mother.