The Mate Chase

She did not sleep a wink last night. The nightmares were a lot different now and more distinct. In the dreams, she was running around to find the person behind Nana's death. She wanted to know who it was so bad that she was the one who did the killing.

All the bloodshed.

She had watched herself kill wolf after wolf and when it finally came down to finding out who it was, Madeline jolted awake when the person had attacked her.

His cackle was still heard in her head as the blood that she had seen in her dreams plagued her to no end. Madeline had washed up and dressed warmly. She looked at herself one more time and she would have to say, she looked like a monster.

One look and someone will know she did not sleep at all. Madeline groaned and decided to put on some dark make-up to cover it up. Exiting the suite and heading down the elevator, she gave her key to the front desk and headed outside where everyone impatiently waits.

She moved her duffle to her other hand and walked over to the large female crowd as Elder Olivia and a few others stood before all of them, going over the rules. "You are not allowed to shift but are allowed to fight back whoever is or isn't your mate. You are allowed to hide until the chime of the end of the mate chase. You are not permitted to leave the premises alone, unclaimed. If at the end of the chase you have not been found or chosen, you shall go to the start of the run and check in with me."

"But if you are claimed, you are to go with them to check in with another by the name of Elder Jacobs. If say you are unclaimed, the chase begins again tomorrow and everything starts all over. If by then you are still unclaimed, you will check in with me and come again next year. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, Elder," everyone said as she gave an approved nod. "Good luck to you all. Drop your bags at the entrance of the cage and once you enter, do what you have to do."

Everyone rushed to the field of the mate chase as a few took their time to get there. Elder Olivia graciously walked beside Madeline, "Excited?"

"Nervous," She yawned out as Madeline gave a tired smile. "I'm in the middle of wanting my mate and not wanting one."

She laughed. "I was like that too. But don't worry Madeline. It is not all that bad."

Madeline took a deep breath and nodded. "Let's just hope."

So now, there she was. Running with a fast beating heart because two wolves were fighting over her. From afar, shrill screams were heard, either from getting caught or maybe from something worse.

She looked over her shoulder to find the red wolf from before running after her. Even more angry. Madeline looked ahead again and dodged all her obstacles which consisted of fallen trees and shrubs. She was soon tackled to the ground as she let out a grunt. Madeline quickly twisted herself around and pushed him off with all her might.

Stumbling to a stand, she ran again until she came across a familiar dark grey wolf. A snarl was heard behind her making her swirl around and couldn't get out of the way fast enough and was again brought to the ground roughly and landed on something sharp causing Madeline to cry out in pain.

The red wolf hovered over her and growled in her face as she turned her head away fearfully with the pain in her side irritatingly throbbing. The large dark grey wolf snarled and tackled him and begin battling each other. Being the alpha he is, he had the upper hand in the fight until a third wolf showed up.

Madeline scooted away from the black wolf as he licked his lips. She swallowed hard and kept backing away. "Stay away," I huffed out weakly as he kept coming forward.