S O L K N I G H T

I quickly shifted and caught her before she could make impact to the ground. Jackson entered as I looked around the familiar damaged cottage. "Is she okay, Alpha?" Jackson asked as he stood by the door.

I nodded. "She'll be fine," I mumbled then looked down at her as her face began to relax. I moved her hair out of her face and as quickly as my anger came, it went.

Jackson linked me right away saying that she wasn't feeling well and that he was instructed to go away but had stayed far away watching her. Just as I exited the pack house, he linked back saying she ran off the territory making both myself and my wolf angry.

She didn't want us. She was rejecting us.

My mind went blank and all I saw was anger. I shifted and darted to where Jackson was, blurring past him and off territory to follow her scent.

"Follow," I ordered him.

She was on the familiar trail my little mate used to come see me. Where my little mate left forever. By now, we were both furious with everything. My little mate was gone forever. My new mate wanted to run away.

I let out a bark like growl in anguish and picked up my pace. I won't let her get away. I just won't!

And soon as I know it, we arrived at the familiar little cottage. "Alpha, isn't this-"

"Yes," I snarled out as I rushed to the door and slammed it open, breaking the door down as I did so.

She had stood there with tears streaming down her face and sweat across her brow with a picture frame in her hand. She stared at me as if she hadn't seen me forever and just like that, she collapsed.

"How does she know about this place?" I asked Jackson as I picked her up and placed her on the couch. Jackson came over and handed me a bag of clothes.

Slipping them on, Jackson spoke. "I had told her there was a little cottage just east from here. Luna wanted to see the spot where you and little Luna met and when she got there, that was when everything else happened."

I looked to him. "So she didn't even know."

Jackson shook his head. "No, Alpha. It must have been a good guess."

"No," I said looking back down at her.

Both their scent were the same. Who in this world can have a mate with the same scent? Twice. "Did she tell you her real name?" I asked as I kept staring at her.

"Yes, Alpha. She said her name was Madeline but for me to call her Butterfly when others were around."

"Madeline," I whispered ghostly. A name I could never forget.

"Alpha?"

"You can head on back, Jackson. Thank you," I said as I kneeled down beside her, taking her hand in mine. The all too familiar electric tingles forming.

"Yes, Alpha," Jackson said as he bowed and left.

I looked to the frame she was still holding onto and gently pried it out of her hand. When I turned it around, my chest caved in and a cloud of sadness hovered over me. I ran my fingers across my little mate's face and felt the world crumble once more.

I looked to my sleeping mate who still had tears in the corners of her eyes. Wiping them away, I went to caress her face. "It's a coincidence," I mumbled. "I pray to the goddess that this is just a coincidence."

I stared at her and kept praying to myself. My mate is not her. They are two different people with the same scent and name. But what if it isn't? What if it really is her?