14. She was so going down

On Christmas Eve, I was getting ready to go to DeeDee's place for their annual Christmas party. This year, I actually took the time to put makeup on and to buy a new dress. So here I was, standing tall of my 5'10 (with black high heels), applying some eyeliner when the doorbell rang. Checking myself one more time in the mirror - those tights didn't have any holes - I grabbed my phone and purse and opened the door.
"It's already open..." I started, but lost my voice when I saw who I opened the door to.
"DeeDee told me I could wait with you for our ride." said a really shy Raja.
I reluctantly let him in, trying to lose the frowned eyebrows on my face, but it didn't work. Destinée was so going down.
"Okay hum... she invited you?"
"Yeah, she came to my place to do so."
Did I mention DeeDee was sooooo dead? The nerve of her!
"Well, we're gonna be here for a while, her dad will be there in 10 minutes."
"Ight, might as well take off my coat."
Raja said, taking it off at the same time.
I took off my heels and left them in the entrance - no boots were needed, still no snow outside - before I sat down on the couch. Raja was still hanging his coat in the wardrobe. He was wearing a red shirt underneath his jacket and black skinny jeans, along with matching red sneakers. He caught me staring at him and I hurriedly looked away.
"You look amazing in that dress." he said with a small smile.
I was wearing a knee-lenght black dress entirely covered with silver, gold and green glitters.
"Thanks." I replied without looking at him.
"You're still mad at me, huh?" he noticed, taking place next to me.
"Whatever dude."
"Where's Clara?"
"I don't know."
"She didn't come back yet?"
"Nope."
Three days without news. She wouldn't pick up her phone, wouldn't answer my texts. I was worried sick, but I refused to call the police. I had to find her myself.
"Were they mad? When they learned about the bags?"
"I blamed it on you, I admitted, unsuccessfully hiding my grin, but Jo was mad at me anyways. Destinée made him run away, but he was planning on taking me with them."
"They're under the bathroom's sink."
"The bags?"
He nodded.
"I'm so sorry."
"It's not your fault my sister can't choose her boyfriends. I'm not blaming her though."
"I mean... wait, what do you mean?"
"It's easy to fall for someone when you let your guards down."
"Where would our world be without hope?"
"To keep allowing people to hurt you when you had nothing but love to give them?"
"Everyone deserves a second chance."
"What's the point to fragilize yourself like that?"
"People change people."
"For better or for worse."
"It doesn't take much to light up a room. And it's hard to block the sun."
"Wait, you're still talking about Clara?" I finally said, holding my breath.
Raja had leaned closer somehow when we were arguing. He whispered in my ear.
"You know the answer to that one."
"I..."
"Better get moving, Destinée should be here by now." he said, pulling me up by the hand. I yanked my hand out of his as soon as I got up.
"No I don't", I said, ending the conversation.

The ride to the party was silent. Raja was clearly having fun, looking at me from the corner of his eye. I, on the other hand, was fighting with myself. My pride didn't want to tell him he was welcomed back at my place and my heart just wanted to know what it felt like to give him a(nother) hug.

My pride won and I didn't say a single thing nor throw a single look at him. We exited the car after we both mumbled thanks to Destinée's dad and walked into the house. My parents and younger siblings were three too, since the Anglades always invited their neighbours to their parties. My mom looked at me with a puzzled look, but I didn't know why.
"Hi Mom! How's it going?"
"Honey, where's your sister?"
Oh.
"Hum... I don't know."
"You don't know?" she repeated with a slight anger in her voice.
"For real, I haven't seen her today."
And yesterday. And she appeared like fifteen minutes two days before that . No big deal.
"Okay, we'll talk about this later", she let go when she noticed Raja near behind me.
"Who's this?"
"My neighbour." I said flatly. "Mom, this is Raja.
"Nice to meet you young man", Mom said with a forced smile.
She then decided she should go watch the twins and left me with Raja. Great.
"I need to talk to you", he said in a soft tone.
My heart bounced in my chest, and my head zoned out.
"We have nothing to talk about", I snapped, averting his gaze to look for DeeDee.
"I'm sorry, Tweetie."
"Sorry about what?"
"Huh..."
"You must be kidding me."
"Wait, just listen to me and I'll let you have the time of your life."
"Ugh, alright, go on."
"Hum, maybe not here though."
"Oh my gosh just take me outside and talk to me for goodness sake!"
He grinned and made his way to the hall, followed by me.