18. Noodles and blurry eyes

"Hi habibi, it's Mom. I know you're on that trip of yours but we just wanted you to know we were at Momo's appartment right now so call him when you can... we're there for the week and then we'll be at Montreal. Anyway, bye Raja."
I did not see that coming. At all.

I was preparing the noodles, but kept playing the message like an idiot. Mr. Nadeau was having a blast seeing me so desoriented.
"I don't get it, aren't you happy she called?"
"Yes, but..."
"But what?"
Last time I saw her... I don't even remember it because I was high.
"I should get those noodles upstairs."
"So, you're going to your house?"
"If you don't mind, I rather stay here, it's almost one a.m."
"What about your parents? What do you have to hide?"
"Nothing, I just wanna stay here... While we're here, sir, I'd like to ask."
"Huhum..."
"If your daughter happened to be like my best friend, what would you say?"
"It's not gonna happen."
"In that case, don't expect me to get paid or whatever. If she wants me as a friend, I'm not running away."
"Then I'll tell her you've been lying this whole time."
"That's not even true!" I yelled.
"Don't make her go downstairs, I'll just tell her sooner."
"Doesn't matter, she was so down when I got here, she couldn't even walk!"
He looked surprised, and didn't answer anything. Then we both heard someone dragging herself down the hall. Twilla had made it to the kitchen, despite her low forces and blurry eyes.
"Raja, what's going on?"
"I don't even know myself, just ask your dad."
"No, I asked you for a reason."
"Sit down, at least, you're shaking."
I helped her take place then said:
"Clearly he doesn't want me around, little star, I can't go against his will."
"Why dad?"
"He's dangerous. I already lost Clara I won't lose you too."
"But Dad, it's not the same thing. It's not Jo. He makes me happy, dad, do you get this?"
"Still, the gang could be after you to pressure him."
"They're already after me and Jo's already mad at me, so Raja won't change this. Actually, he's the one who could get hurt".
" Oh, I think he has something to scare Jo off."
Really? I didn't even remembered where I had placed that gun.
"What is he talking about?"
"He saw Jo giving me a gun, almost a year ago, and he almost arrested us, but I saw him soon enough to run away."
"Why a gun though?"
"He didn't have enough money so he paid with it."
"Your little buddy could easily end up in joovy."
Since I had turned 18 almost a year before - I had once failed my 5th grade, I could actually end up in legit jail, but he didn't have to know.
"Dad, just leave him alone. He was nice enough to listen to you, just let it be, now."
Mr. Nadeau just rubbed the back of his neck and muttered:
"We'll talk about this some other time."
And with that he was joining his wife in their room. I handed a bowl to Twilla.
"Here." I said, holding my own noodle bowl in one hand. "It was nice of you to come and defend me, but you should've stayed upstairs."
"I'm a big girl, I can do whatever." she shrugged off, a small smirk on her face.
I sat next to her at the kitchen table. I watched her eat the noodle for a while, then told her:
"Looks like you were really hungry, weren't you?"
"Are you gonna eat this?"
"Well, we can share."
"Sounds good."
I pushed my noodles closer to her so she didn't have to exhaust herself to get her chair closer to me.
"When, hum... when are the funerals?"
"I don't know, I lost count of the days."
"We're the 4th February."
"It's the 6th if I'm not mistaken."
"Alright."
"I'm supposed to say a few words but I don't think I'll be able to keep it together. I mean look at me."
"You should do it. It'll be a good way to let this go, plus you are the girl with her way around words."
"In French, man, not in English!"
"You'll still figure it out."
"Fine, but you have to help me."
"Of course I will."
"I wouldn't have it any other way."
She looked like she wanted to add something, yet didn't peep another word.
"You wanna tell me something?"
"Oh it can wait." she brushed it off.
"Twilight..."
"Really?" she looked annoyed.
"I actually think it's a cool nickname, plus it matches Sunshine quite well. Anyway, back to the subject."
"Fine! I'm just really grateful you came back into my life and that you're Christian now."
"I'm extremely grateful you're still alive. Don't you ever let me nor anyone else make you feel like you're not worth the shot."
"Yeah, easier said than done but God helps me through it all."
"He sure does."
I suddenly remembered my phone right next to the sink and grabbed it.
"Did you got a phone call lately?"
So much for being slick.
"You know?" I frowned.
"Your brother's annoying but he's nice to have around. So, yes, I know about your parents being back in town."
"When will I know about yours, though?"
"You already know about my- oh."
She swallowed a noodle, averting my eyes.
"Can you bring me there?" she mumbled, pointing a sofa in the living room.
I swept her off her feet and carried her to the living room. We cuddled in the sofa, as I was running my fingers in her curls and she was leaning her head on my shoulder.
"Are you ready?" I whispered.
"Are you?" she whispered back.
"Yes."
I kissed her forehead. She smiled when my lips touched her soft skin.