31. Any other way

Twilla rather look at another woman storming into the cafe, cutting the line to address to Tanisha in Creole, although I didn't understand what she said. Twilla gasped so hard I actually thought she was having a panic attack.
"I need to get out of here", she frantically decided, walking out of the coffe shop, not waiting for an answer.
Since I had to get our food, I couldn't run after her. The second woman was already talking to me anyways.
"Hello, is the girl who got out your girlfriend?" She asked me in French.
I was kind of shocked, I mean, would you go to strangers like that?
"Hum, yes, she is."
"Do you know where she went?"
"I'm sorry I don't think I know you." I said flatly.
"Germaine Toussaint, nice to meet you. I believe you are dating my daughter."
I didn't reply anything.
"And clearly she has recognized me, so I'd like to talk to her."
"I don't think she wants to. You should leave her alone."
She pinched her lips, eyeing me suspiciously. Tanisha handed me my order and I stormed out too, not even daring to continue this strange conversation. Only when I spotted Twilla, waiting for me near the restroom, I noticed something on her coffee cup.

A phone number.

I found my girlfriend at my parents flight waiting room, pulling on her hair curls. I took place on the seat next to her, wrapping my arm around her shoulders. She closed her eyes, resting her head on me.
"I love you." she blurted out of the blue.
"What was that for?"
"Not coming here with her." She explained, referring to her mom.
"Oh, I just ran away like you did. But your sister wrote down her number on your cup instead of your name."
She took the drink out of my hands and spotted the number.
"What should I do?" She almost breathed, looking troubled.
"It's up to you, beautiful." I simply stated, kissing softly her forehead.
She took a sip from her coffee, then looked again at the number. She pulled out her cellphone from her back pocket and entered her sister's name in her contacts.
"Maybe one day, but not now." She whispered more to herself than me. "Oh my, your parents could be here any minute now. Let's go check." She then said, looking at the time flashing on her screen.

Not even ten minutes after we reached the gate, my parents showed up with wide smiles on their faces.
"Habibi!" screamed my mom, running to me.
I hugged her tightly, while Twilla waved at my dad. "Hi, mom."
"I see you came here with Twilla. She is your girlfriend now, right?"
"Yes Mom."
"Finally!" She sighed dramatically, making both me and Twilla to laugh.
"Are you gonna stay with us, darling?" asked my mom to Tweetie.
"I have a few friends to visit today, but I'll be back this evening. Besides, I have to drive you home anyway."
"Alright, sweetie. Let's go grab our luggages!"
My parents were walking in front of us. "They still look like they're on vacation." I said to Twilla, grinning.
"They're so cute." she nodded.
"And my mom is thrilled that we're together!"
"I can tell." She grabbed my hand and added : "I'm glad to be part of your family, Ray."
I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and gave her a kiss on the forehead. "Of course you are."

Once we arrived at my parents appartment in Montreal, Twilla went away for a few hours to visit her friends from church camp and my dad took a nap in his room without unpacking anything. I was alone with my mom.

"So how was Paris?"
"Awesome! We walked downtown, we went to the restaurant, we shopped... oh, I'll show you the pictures!"
She handed me her cellphone. I scrolled through the photos for almost an hour (that is how much my mom was really looking forward to this trip).
"By the way, mom", I said casually, "I have something... Well, if you like it..."
"Habibi just give it to me already!"
I sighed and gave her my gift. Mom opened the case and her eyes widened when she saw the sapphire earrings.
"You... How did you get the money-"
"Well that's not something to say when we get a gift!"
"But she doesn't have her ears pierced!"
"What?" I asked, confused.
"Isn't it for Twilla?"
"Of course not, these are for you!"
"Really!" she yelled.
"Yeah. Hum... I wanted to give you something since I've got a lot of birthdays and Mother's Day to catch up... And I apologize for the way I behave before..."
"Honey, are you crying?"
"No, I lied, they're something in the air-"
But she wiped off the tears on my cheeks like she used to do it when I was a kid, and smiled at me even though her own eyes were getting teary too.
"Thank you, Raja. And I love you no matter what you do."
"Love you too mum."
She squeezed me in her arms and I hugged back. When we weren't crying anymore, I finally let go.
"I didn't know you had such good taste in jewelry." confessed my mom.
"I don't, Twilla helped me choose. But I did tell her blue was your favourite colour."
"So I have to thank her too, in that case."
"Yeah, she insisted on leaving us alone so I could give it to you."
"She's the best."
"I couldn't say it better."
"Make sure to call me when you go shop for that ring."
"Of course Mom. I wouldn't have it any other way."

And... only one more to go and we get to say goodbye! I got a huge writer's block at the end so I'll definitely edit this chapter. The epilogue will be better I promise! Until then, enjoy, vote, comment!