20. Let it go

Both my parents frowned their eyebrows.
"Yeah, I said a little embarrassed, I'm Christian now."
"For how long?" asked my mom.
I couldn't tell if she was mad or not.
"Hum, I don't know, like a week after I landed in London."
Twilla rolled on her side, carefully listening, since I never got to tell her how it all happened.
"Why?" asked my brother, apparently shocked.
"Well, I never got over the fact that I could've died during summer.
"You what?" repeated my mom.
But my dad stared at her to let her know to keep it down for now.
"And when I went to London, I was still a little shaken by the events, among other stuff (I looked quickly at Twilla, then reported my attention to the laptop). I decided I'd go check for that church my friend kept telling me about. Hillsong church."
Twilla's jaw dropped.
"And then it was a matter of minutes before I kneeled down in tears. It's like someone had told them my entire life and they were just singing, praying and preaching about it. And when the preacher said God had told him someone here was struggling with drug addiction and was from Canada and... I just ran to him and told him to stop telling my life to everyone. So we prayed together and then they asked me if I wanted to get baptized the next Sunday. I said yes, and I went there for the month. I befriend a few people from there so they still text me to go check that verse of the bible. So here I am, guys. A brand new Raja."
The three of them remained quiet for a while. I shifted my gaze to Twilla, who stared back, waiting for my parents to say something.
"You didn't say who gave you the cross though." reminded me my father.
"One of my new friends gave it to me before I leave."
John's mom had a lot of these in her closet, apparently.
"If it makes you happy, I guess we can live with it." sighed my mom.
"Really? What about Grandpa?"
"He already disowned me because I don't want to wear a veil anymore."
"But I thought..."
"Sorry I haven't told you guys earlier, but I was kind of freaking out about your bad habits. Plus your dad getting offers at work... I just wanted an escape. I love you, you know that?"
"We love you too mum", Mo moaned while patting her back.
"I hate this! I just wanna take you in my arms like you were 7 again! When are you coming back?"
"Oh, hum... I'm kinda already there."
"There where?"
"Gatineau?..." I muttered, knowing what was up next.
"AND YOU DIDN'T TELL US? RAJA TELL US WHERE YOU ARE!!!"
"Mom relax, I'm at Twilla's house, it's 15 minutes away from Mo's."
"Who is she? She's a girl, right?"
I laughed and waved at her to sit next to me.
"Mom, dad, this is Twilla."
"Is she your girlfriend?" asked my dad.
Of course.
"Dad..."
"Wait, you sleep with..." started Mo.
"Dude, I slept in the guestroom. Besides, she's Christian too, so we ain't in the hook up business."
"Where are you from, darling?" asked my mom.
"Haiti".
"Ouh, so you must be well behaved."
"I hope so", she replied, smiling.
Huh, Mom and her non-sense small talk.
"So, habibi, come with your girlfriend now, I'm tired of that screen." Mom ordered.
"She's not my girl..."
But she was already off - to cooking, probably - and Mo said:
"So, you're not mad at him anymore?" teased my brother.
"Whatever Mo." Twilla snapped, ending the videocall. She turned to me, rolling her eyes. "And he says he's 20? I don't believe it." she said to me.
"Welcome in my world, little star."

The ride to see my parents was pretty silent. Twilla insisted to drive, and I let her since his dad was probably still mad at me for God know what. If I scratched the steeling wheel with my nails, he'd probably hate me for many years to come.

"We're here!" Twilla sang when she parked.
"I'm gonna be sick", I muttered.
"It'll be just fine, don't you think? Your mom's totally over your past, let it go too."
"I guess you're right..." I sighed and knocked at the door - I didn't leave to Europe with my house keys.
"Well, well, look who-"
"Save it, Mohammed", she snapped once again.
What was up between those two?
"Let it go, Twilla", I joked, stepping inside.
"Hi, dear!" my mom greeted me.
She hugged me tight, saying:
"You've grown again!"
"Sorry mom", I grinned.
"No, it's a good thing, look at you you're even more handsome!" replied my mom.
Mo and Tweetie laughed behind me.
"Oh, and you must be... What's your name again?"
"Twilla, nice to meet you."
"Wow, you're gorgeous, right honey?" she said, turning around to seek Dad's approuval.
"Miryam, leave the poor kids alone."
Ah, at least someone was aware of the akwardness of the situation.
"When are you guys leaving?" I asked them.
"We don't know yet. But we have to go to Montreal tomorrow. We'll stay there til my job figures where I'll be transfered. " answered my father.
"But I cooked dinner, and I'd be flattered if we would all eat it together. I made chicken, Raja..."
"I'm sure in! Wanna stay, T?"
"Sure, chicken sounds good." she smiled at my mom and her grin grew wider. I'm pretty sure she's already making wedding plans in her head.

"What are you guys planning to do tomorrow?"
My mom's question both took us by surprise.
"We have funerals to attend to." I frankly replied.
Twilla chewed her chicken a little slower.
"Oh... But we're leaving in the evening so maybe you'll get the time to pass by?"
"We'll see, okay?"
I wasn't sure I'd bring Tweetie at my place after these funerals since she'd probably be crying her life out.

Twilla's phone rang just at that moment, releasing the akwardness the funerals had brought to the table.
"I'm so sorry", she said mortified before pressing the green button on the screen.
She quickly got out of table.
"Hello?..." she mumbled. "...Clara?"