Chapter Nine

Astrid was being difficult. She would never talk to me whenever Heather was around. In the previous days, she has been, at break and lunch, hanging out with us.

Astrid still hasn't told me what had happened between them. I tried asking her but no, she just ignored me.

She's starting to act really suspicious and it's confusing me. I don't know whether I should ask her or not.

The following day, Astrid glared at me and Heather as we walked into the gym, in our work out clothes. I wore joggers and a t-shirt while Astrid and Heather were wearing shorts and tank tops.

I had just finished explaining what we were doing when I saw Astrid frowning. At first I thought she was looking at Heather. She wasn't. Astrid was frowning at me.

"Excuse me Heather, I'll be right back." I rushed over without letting Heather respond. Astrid crossed her arms as I stopped in front of her.

"Look who finally decided to show up." Astrid rolled her eyes, huffing. She sounded annoyed.

"What's your problem?" The words tumbled out before I could stop them. "First you're all nice then you start acting like a bitch." A crowd had gathered. I didn't notice.

"Excuse me?" Astrid growled. "My problem? What is your problem?"

My voice raised. "My problem? I haven't got a problem!"

"Yes you do," Astrid snapped. "You won't even bother to hang out with your friends anymore, let alone talk to them."

"Heather's my friend too!" I hissed.

"Yeah?" Astrid shouted, glancing at Heather. "So are we Harry." She gestured to my other friends behind her. She's right ... I've been ignoring them ...

But all the anger washed away when I saw part of Astrid's arm wrapped up in a bandage. As she turned, I grabbed her hand, spinning her around.

She stared at me, taken aback. "What happened?" I demanded, holding her bandaged wrapped arm in my hands. I swear, if she got into another fight ...

She didn't reply. Instead, I pulled her away from the crowd onto a bench where I sat her down. Astrid frowned again.

"What did you do?" I asked, my voice much softer as I unwrapped her arm. The bandages fell off and I saw a huge gash running along her forearm. "Astrid!" I looked at her, then at her arm and back up again.

I shook my head. I can't believe her. She's injured and she didn't even tell me.

"I wonder why?" Astrid muttered.

I groaned. "I said that out loud, didn't I?" Astrid smirked, answering my question. "Seriously, who did this?"

I swear, when I get my hands on them...

Astrid snatched her arm back, wrapping it up in her bandages as she stood up. "It doesn't matter."

"Of course it matters!" I retorted. "You got hurt."

Before I could say anything else, our Coach stormed into the gym, a malicious smirk plastered on his face. "Alright you babies, get your butts over here. Now!"

I didn't really like the Coach. Just like all the other teachers, he didn't like me. Everyone hurried over and circled around him.

"Alright!" His voice boomed. "Today, we'll be having a little game of dodge ball." A few students groaned while the rest cheered. "Quiet! I will be selecting the captains and they will choose whoever they want. OK, let's see ... "

The Coach started walking round mumbling to himself every now and again. "Scott!" He said, making me jump. "You're a captain."

He then continued his walk around the rest of us until his eyes landed on me. I just realised that the last time he saw me, I was small and scrawny. I'm still scrawny now, but well built and tall.

"Who is he?" The Coach snarled, glaring over intensely at the other students.

"Harry Haddock," someone stated.

The Coach turned slowly to gape at me. "Harry Haddock? It can't be!" Way to support my confidence. "Who's idea was this joke?"

"Really, Sir," Astrid said, stepping forward. "It's really him."

"Him?"

"Him." Astrid confirmed.

"Hmm ... well, I suppose you can be Captain too Haddock. But one mess up, I'll be on you like a dog on a chew toy. You understand?"

"Y - Yes Sir," I stuttered, hurrying over to the opposite side of Scott.

"Haddock! Choose first!" The Coach shouted as he walked around the room.

"Astrid," I said without hesitation. She hurried over. "Tell me what happened," I whispered as Scott chose some guy.

I had a chance, I may as well take it.

"No!" Astrid mumbled. "Nothing happened, I just tripped."

"Flynn!" I called. "Don't lie Astrid."

She glared sideways at me. "I'm not lying," she said, with a roll of her eyes.

"I've known you for years Astrid, I can tell when you're lying or not."

"Heather!" Oh god. Oh no, Scott picked Heather. Great ... Heather sent me a look of hopelessness. I merely shrugged, smiling apologetically at her.

"Ruff!" Scott chose Tuff soon later. We kept going on until we had our teams. As Scott and his team set up the court, our team talked about tactics. Well, not all of us.

I dragged Astrid off into a corner. "Astrid, please. I just want to know who did this to you." She merely huffed, folding her arms. I groaned. I wasn't going to get anywhere at this rate.

I gripped her arms, shaking her slightly. "Tell me ... " That funny, but painful feeling had returned to my gut. It had gotten stronger. I winced, hoping Astrid wouldn't notice.

I clutched at it, as if I could have stopped the pain. It only made it worse.

"Fine," Astrid sighed. "What happened is - Harry, are you OK?"

I had doubled over, the pain starting to get unbearable. "I'm ... fine ... " It wasn't - it felt like somebody was stabbing me repeatingly.

I curled around myself as I fell to the floor.

"Harry!" I heard Astrid shout but her voice sounded distant, like it was miles away. I saw her slid to the ground next to me. She leaned over and grabbed my head, just as I felt my eyes rolling to the back.

I lay there, unable to move or speak.