Chapter Fifteen

I rounded a corner and skidded, stopped dead in my tracks. There was a circle of people who I had never seen before a couple of feet away from me. They were all staring down at a figure curled up on the grass.

It was Astrid.

I snarled, getting the attention of the people in front of me. They backed up, their hands held up as I walked over to Astrid's body slowly. My snarling ceased to a stop when I stared at Astrid. She was unconscious but she was OK.

I nudged her head with my own. Astrid?

"She won't hear you." I turned, seeing Ryan with his arms across his chest. "Her wolf hasn't awoken yet. But it will, in due time."

How long is that said time? I asked, facing Astrid again.

"Few weeks, maybe months. It's hard to say. So, until then, we'll have to keep an eye on her."

I growled deeply in my throat. I'll protect her. You need to look after your pack. I don't need your help.

"She's my sister Harry." Ryan replied with gritted teeth.

I fell to the ground beside Astrid, nosing her hand. I got no response. Let me take her home.

"No, Harry! That's far too dangerous. The Rogues attacked her, knowing that they'd draw you out."

I lifted my head, tilting it to the side. Why do they need to draw me out?

Ryan sighed. "It's because - "

Ryan was cut off from Astrid gasping as she woke and sat up straight. "Ryan! What's going on? Are you okay? Harry! Oh god I thought you died!" My ears pricked up as my tail wagged slightly. I sat up, placing my big furry head on her shoulder.

I'm okay. I'm just glad you're okay. From the look on Astrid's face, I'm guessing she heard me.

"Was that you?" Astrid asked. I merely nodded.

I whined sadly, dropping my head from her shoulder. I'm sorry you got hurt. I nearly told her. I nearly told her about my feelings for her.

"It's okay." Astrid smiled. I nodded, slowly. Unexpectedly I felt this awful pain in my neck and I could feel the wolf in my mind starting to battle over the control of my body. This time, I didn't have enough energy to fight back.

I looked at Ryan, pleading before I ran off, into a nearby woods, letting the wolf take over. I howled as I ran deeper through the trees and thick undergrowth. Then everything went black.

When I woke a few hours later, I realised I was in the forest near the school, wearing nothing but my underwear. I sat up, holding my head as it pounded against my palm.

I heard a buzzing. My head snapped up, glaring around the area. I growled slightly through gritted teeth. I placed my hand on the forest floor, focusing on the buzzing. I closed my eyes, searching.

I found it. It was only a few feet away from me and it was coming from ... a phone? I grabbed it, staring at the screen. It was mine. And I had ten missed calls from Ryan. Shit.

"Ryan!" I nearly shouted when he answered.

"Harry! Where have you been?" He asked desperately.

I raked my brain to try and find an answer. "I - I don't know," I answered honestly. "How's Astrid?" I got up, stumbling backwards against a tree.

"She's fine," Ryan said. "But she wants to see you. How long will it take you to get here?"

I shrugged, steadying myself. "I don't know ... if I can ... make it." I could feel the wolf trying to take over. "Can you ... meet me at ... the school."

"Be there in five." Ryan hung up.

I met them both at the school ten minutes later. I had managed to gain control of the wolf in that short space of time. When Astrid saw me, gasping, she launched into my arms, hers nearly cutting off my air supply from around my neck.

Realising I was wearing nothing but my boxes, I gently pried Astrid's arms off my neck, pushing her back gently. Ryan took the chance to chuck me a pair of sweats. I pulled them on rather hastily, nodding my thanks.

Now I could look at Astrid properly. She seemed fine, except for her left forearm which was wrapped up in bandages. My stomach dropped as I hung my head low. I shouldn't feel guilty but I feel like it's all my fault.

Astrid noticed me staring and she sighed. "Don't blame yourself," she said as if reading my thoughts.

"You got hurt," I murmured.

"Why does that matter?" Astrid asked, stepping closer.

"Because you shouldn't have got hurt," I replied, curling my hands into fists. My head shot up and I glared at Ryan. "Where's the rogue?" I demanded.

Ryan groaned, rubbing his neck. "We couldn't find him ... " It was quite clear he didn't want to piss me off.

"I'll go right now and search ... " I turned to go, stopped by a hand gripping my forearm. Ryan's hand.

"No Harry," he said firmly. "You're not ready. You could end up killing him."

"So what if I do?" I growled.

"Harry." Astrid's soft voice made me look at her. She was watching my every movement, her eyes full of concern. But she also looked confused.

"What, Astrid?" I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I shook Ryan's hand off me, putting my full attention on Astrid. "What is it?"

Astrid opened her mouth to say something but thinks better of it, shaking her head. "Never mind."

I huff, shrugging in her direction.

"We need to go," Ryan said. "Come on, we're going back to mine."

I hesitate, coming along when I see Astrid's pleading eyes scouring over me. I can't ignore them, I couldn't if I tried.