Chapter Fourteen

"Astrid!" I screamed as I pushed her out of the way not long after Jay's body slammed into mine. I was thrown halfway across the hallway.

There was pain all over my body, especially in my stomach. But I desperately scrambled to my feet, a deep growl rising from my throat as I saw Jay approach Astrid's twitching figure.

"No!" I screamed, feeling a shift in my body. Before I knew it myself I had Changed and was sprinting towards Jay, my teeth bared, my claws scraping the floor as I ran.

I jumped, landing in front of Astrid, making Jay stumble back. I snarled at him as Astrid groaned. My stance clearly said Back off. Jay growled. "I'll be back," he hissed before jumping out the nearest window, shattering the glass.

I stood over Astrid's body as shards of glass flew my way. It hit my head, legs and body. I could already feel the blood oozing out of the cuts.

I tried to focus on my human body, groaning as I felt a sharp pain in my side. I closed my eyes, wincing. When I reopened them, I was myself again.

I looked around me to check if anyone saw. Nobody was here, except Astrid. I looked at her. She was staring at me, her jaw dropped.

"Astrid," I said gently, as I reached out to her, "I can explain." Astrid didn't move. I tried reaching out but I couldn't as the pain had come back.

I hissed, hugging myself with one arm. "Harry?" Astrid said, her voice breaking. "Harry, what's wrong?" Astrid gripped my arm, her nails digging into my skin. Realisation sunk in. "It was you. I just saw it. You are the wolf, aren't you?"

I merely nodded as it was too painful to speak. The fire alarm sounded off. Both Astrid and I looked up, puzzled. I winced in pain, feeling a slight shift in my bones. I clutched Astrid's hand with my free hand. She squeezed my fingers tightly.

Before I could speak I got a message.

Harry! Harry! Are you there? It was Ryan.

I'm ... here. What's ... happening? My body shook, my face glistening with sweat. Astrid stared at me, her lips parting in confusion.

I set off the alarm to get everybody out. I could see Ryan's line of vision; he was in a corridor, his feet slipping as he sprinted across the hall towards us.

I kinda ... figured that ... out. I heard Ryan chuckle deeply. Why do ... you need ... everyone ... out?

Rogues. Followers of your old English teacher.

Jay ...

What? Ryan asked. He was close, I could sense him.

His ... name I said. It's Jay.

Interesting name. Ryan was silent for a few moments. What about Astrid? Where is she?

Right here ... holding ... my hand ... with a death grip. Ryan, you need ... to hurry. I can feel ... myself ... changing. I won't be in control.

I'm right behind you.

I looked up. There he was looking down at use, his golden blonde hair flowing with the draft that came through the broken window. "Ryan." I gasped.

Ryan smirked. "What have you been doing with my sister Haddock?"

I ignored him. The pain was getting unbearable. "Ah!" I screamed, clawing at my stomach. I exhaled deeply, repeating it every few seconds. My voice had deepened. "Get her out of here, now." Ryan, turning serious, nodded.

"Come on sis, let's go." Ryan held his hand out to Astrid.

She didn't take it. I looked at her, pleading her. My hand shaking, I brought it up to cup her cheek. Her face nestled into my touch. My eyes said it all: Please.

Astrid nodded, taking Ryan's hand. Then they were gone. My vision improved. I realised my eyes had changed. I thrashed around on the floor, hissing in pain.

Ryan was back within minutes, but it was too late. I had already Changed. Ryan gulped, staring at my tensed wolf figure. I was growling, my lips curling up slowly into a snarl.

Harry. I heard Ryan's voice in my mind and froze at the sound of it. Harry, Astrid needs you. She needs you.

I couldn't move. My ears pricked upwards, raising my head. I only had a few moments of control. What happened? I could feel the wolf trying to take other but I fought back. My instincts had kicked in.

"She's with some members of the Pack outside. A Rogue attacked her then it ran." Ryan frowned. "Don't go out there."

I have to. I started to jog to the nearest exit. It was blocked. Stupid door! I spun and jumped out the nearest window, shattering the glass.

"Harry! You can't! You'll be seen!"

I don't care. It's not like I'm assigned to a pack anyway. I caught Astrid's scent, sprinting towards her, leaving Ryan behind me.

Don't worry Astrid, I'm coming.