Chapter Eighteen

"You're a Shifter, aren't ya?" The Coach is looking at me. I nodded at him. "Of course you are." He sighed. "I'm sorry Haddock, I didn't know."

"Don't worry about it Coach." I smiled. Astrid squeezed my side.

"Shifters!" The Coach called. "Raise your hands!" Everyone except Scott and his friends raised their hands. My jaw dropped.

I turned to Ryan. "Why didn't you tell me?" I laughed.

Ryan shrugged. "Alpha's orders." On that take, Ryan's phone started ringing. He gestured he'd be back and walked outside, answering with, "Yes Sir."

I looked back at our class. All the Shifters still had their hands up. I watched the Coach try and explain it to Scott and his gang but he couldn't cope. He didn't understand.

The twins and Flynn came over. I stared at them. "You guys knew about me, didn't you?"

They all nodded grinning sheepishly. Flynn answered my question that I was about to ask them. "I'm also a Wolf Shifter, Grade 3. Those two turn into white tigers, also Grade 3."

"What does 'Grade 3' mean?" Astrid glanced up at me.

"There's 3 grades," Ruff explained. "1, 2 and 3."

"They're the top 3 groups of the most powerful shifters in the world." Tuff continued. "Most of them are in Grade 3, like all of us here."

"Shifters from Grade 2 and 1 are extremely rare," Flynn finished. "There are only a few in the world."

"What can they do?" My eyebrows were raised, I was becoming curious.

"Grade 2 Shifters can turn into either a tiger or wolf. They get to choose between the two and are able to change their appearance of the animal chosen. They're stronger and lighter on their feet but not as strong as Grade 1 Shifters." Flynn looked around nervously, lowering his voice. "Grade 1 Shifters are usually bigger than your average sized wolves but, there are consequences ... Grade 1 Shifters find it very difficult to control the animal inside of them. If they fail ... well, I think you're smart enough to figure that out."

This made me think. Was I Grade 2? Or even Grade 1 perhaps? I don't know. I'll have to ask Ryan when he returns.

"Thanks guys. Now if you'll excuse us, me and my girlfriend have to talk." I waved them off, grinning at Astrid.

"You are such a liar." She glared, ignoring the fact that she was also smiling.

I pulled her into a hug, ignoring that sarcastic comment. My hands tugged gently at the hem of her t-shirt. "I just wanna kiss you right here, right now."

She pulled back slightly, freeing her arms and grabbing a fistful of my shirt. "Do it then."

"I'm worried I'll lose control," I whispered. My lips grazed her cheek.

"I wouldn't let you," she whispered back.

I placed my lips on hers. Before I could go any further, I was harshly pulled away by someone. I glared, seeing Scott standing there fuming, his fists clenched.

"What is wrong with you?" Scott yelled. "You're kissing my girlfriend!"

I rolled my eyes. "Please, Astrid can survive without you, I'll sure she'll cope with me as a boyfriend." I smirked at him. "And by the way, didn't she clearly break up with you?"

"Nobody breaks up with me!" Scott threw himself into me, making a grab for Astrid. I stopped him.

"Touch her again," I growled, "and I swear I will rip your throat out!"