Chapter 7

I opened my turquoise backpack and sprawled my dark grey notebook and pencil bag onto the desk in the back of the class.

Blaize turned around, her short hair a little messed up and obviously unbrushed.

"Hey, you ok? You don't look so good Olive. Almost sick. You should really go home if you don't feel good. We've talked about this!"

She yelled at me all the time. If I ate something that I was intolerant to she wanted to have me sent home immediately.

"Calm the heck down, I just didn't get enough sleep -- and before you yell at me I had to do all my homework after the game"

I swore at myself for mentioning the game. I have never gone to a school game. Especially not sports.

The teacher walked in sternly and I silenced thanking whatever existed that I didn't have to explain myself quite yet.

"Now class turn forwards and take out your planners to write you homework down from the white board on the left" She pointed at the clear cursive on the board. I groaned and wrote down the ten workbook pages due tomorrow.

Blaize turned around in her seat slowly, glaring at me suspiciously. But in a best friend way to let me know that she cares about me. Which was sweet in a twisted way.

After the easy yet immensely boring class we walked through the noisy and densely populated halls to lunch. I'd packed chicken strips and chocolate ice cream and started to open them and Blaize went to go buy from the school cafe.

Smiling a little as I remember the sweet date involving chocolate ice cream and humor, or whatever the heck last night was with Aaron. We sit down at the end of a table in the corner of the cafeteria and Blaize focuses her cold eyes on me.

"Fess up right now or you'll regret it" She said quickly. With that always slightly crazy look in her eye.

"No way. It wasn't even that big of a deal" I look down to keep Blaize from seeing my slightly pink face which would be a dead giveaway.

She'd think I had gone totally crazy. I've never had a crush. She's always wanted me to but all the boys at school seemed so immature and gross.

Why would I ever fall for one of the awful boys at school? That's what I thought before I met Aaron. God, he was so sweet. And he seemed like he was relatively smart, maybe we could even compete.

She kept looking at me. Piercing my skin with her dark brown eyes.

"Just leave it alone Blaize, I swear it was no big deal at all. I promise. Maybe I'll tell you in a week... It's a surprise for you"

Perfect. Blaize loves surprises now I just have to come up with something to give her. Like cake and she'll believe me. Plus she'll think I'm awesome and agree with me for like. A day.

After lunch we split up for study hall. Blaize had to leave to work on her Spanish project with her partner. Usually we work together but the teacher assigned partners.

Walking through the fading hallways and opening my locker to take out my science book I heard a smug voice.

"Are you going to work on those practice section questions for science? I finished those if you want some help"

I was completely taken aback. He was offering me help with school? Usually it was other people begging me for help. This was almost refreshing but it felt odd.

"Sure, do you want to work in the library? It's so nice in there."

I nodded and started to walk next to him, gripping my textbook in my hands along with my notebook.

This was so exciting! I've never felt even a light crush. Oh god. People who fall in love always get hurt.

I shook my head quickly trying to keep my fears out of my head.

He smiles down at me. I think he noticed my moment of nervousness. He seemed so relieved when I looked happy again.

I could see it in his eyes and it made me feel special.