Chapter 8

Sitting down at the round wooden table next to Aaron in the library I opened my textbook to page 296 and looked over to Aaron who was pulling the work out of his black

"How far into the questions are you. You do know that there's like.... 45 of them right?" He couldn't be finished. It would take me at least an hour and a half tonight. Just more Netflix time lost, and I don't like anything separating me from Doctor Who and Parks and Rec.

"I finished during lunch. It was a little tricky but Dan helped me. He's really good at science but he can't keep his folders in order no matter how hard he tries." He smiled, he must have some really good friends. All I've got is Blaize but i'd love to hang out with him.... a lot.

"Whoa, I'm only on number fourteen." I glanced over to see he indeed had finished all the questions. That was far more impressive than my speed, and I'm usually the first person in my class to turn in work.

He explained the biology to me since I usually struggle with it and I helped him understand chemical compounds since I tend to excel in math. Every time I looked away I could feel his gentle glance over at me as I did the same when he turned away.

He was driving me just a little bit insane. After we'd filled out all the answers neatly the bell rang purely to ruin our together moment, our bonding moment. 

"Make sure you bring me that allergy list soon, wouldn't want to kill you on accident now, would we?" You could easily tell he was a softie geek underneath, just trying to be sweet and slick.

"Of course, I don't really feel like dying today, unless of course I find out I'm allergic to chocolate ice cream or coconut, that might just manage to kill me in the end.

"Well I'm very happy that those two foods won't be on the list" He looked back to his next class I presume.

"See you later Olive, stay smart" He laughed and turned the other way. I was left feeling warm and fuzzy. He really knew how to compliment a girl. Don't tell me I'm pretty, tell me I'm intellectually advanced. That's what I prefer 10/10 times.

God Olive, you don't fall for guys. What the heck are you doing? I pushed these thoughts into the back of my head and let the happy giggly thoughts back into my head. I think I was going crazy, but maybe I liked it a bit, and maybe I wanted to hang out with him more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't hang out with anyone in my next class and I found it mind numbingly easy. Math just doesn't challenge me at all. Numbers are so easy to understand. I lay my head on the desk and pulled my hair into a tight ponytail. I caught snippets of what the teacher was saying to assure myself I understood it all.

Looking up I noticed someone looking at me.

"Olive? Is that your name?" Who the heck is this and how does he know my name? Sure he's in my class but why does he want to speak to me?

"Yeah -- but I'm afraid I don't really know you all that well" Or at all. I thought to myself.

He smiled and held a hand out "Hey Olive, I'm Dan" Oh, he's the smart one who's friends with Aaron.\

"I heard you've been hanging out with Aaron" He smiled knowingly but I dismissed the obvious idea that I liked him even a little.

"Yeah, and I heard you're pretty good at science. How on earth did you finish all forty four questions in an hour?" I was genuinely curious.

He shrugged and looked at me "I don't know. I guess I was just born with a need for speed" He cracked up and smiled to reveal his blue braces. I guess I should have known that all of Aaron's friends would be smart. I felt excited and intimidated to find people in the school almost as smart as me.

He looked back at the board and squinted to see the work he'd missed while talking and I rested my head slowly. To be honest I was overjoyed that Dan knew who I was, that mean Aaron talked about me. He probably just wants to be friends.

But at least I know he enjoys hanging out with me!