Chapter 2

I love that this song "Don't Deserve You" by Plumb was written for her newborn son. It's about unconditional love that works perfectly for this story as well. I will be posting songs throughout Restless Hope. In future chapters, I won't comment on them unless I have a specific reason, but I highly recommend you listen to them before or while you read. It really does add something special to the experience. Enjoy this next chapter! xo Sarah

_______________

Beth

I peek over at David's secretary. Fortunately for me, she is too absorbed in her nails to notice my mortification. That's a relief at least.

Leaning my head against the backrest of the couch, I stare up at the ceiling in shock. I can't believe Isaac is here. How strange to see him after all this time! What will he say to me? What can I possibly say to him?

I thought Isaac was still in Africa. I know because it was all breathlessly reported on an online gossip website when he hit Hottest Philanthropist list (because, you know, life would be pointless without categorizing everyone according to their levels of attractiveness. I keep waiting with baited breath for the Hottest Ophthalmologist list). I also know because his grandmother keeps me updated every time I eat at her cafe. She couldn't be more proud of her grandson. Isaac may have needed to escape the town, but he is a loyal grandson who contacts her every few days to make sure she's okay.

Considering that he's probably long forgotten me, it would be utterly humiliating if he knew how many times I've thought of him over the years. The memory of what we were, of what we almost became still haunts me.

The first time I saw Isaac was on the first day of 8th grade. My best friend had just moved to Maine, and I was dreading having to begin school without her by my side. When I arrived, I saw a group of kids gathered outside. Curious, I walked over to see what the fuss was about.

He was the fuss.

Isaac was standing in the middle, the gorgeous new kid from Chicago, looking all James Deanesque cool in a weathered leather jacket and white t-shirt, giving off a rebel without a cause vibe (I had recently seen the movie on one of my Netflix marathons and had a screen crush on Dean). Everyone was instantly nuts about the new kid, especially the girls. One of them, a girl with long brown hair and a killer bod, kept touching his arm and playing with his hair. I half expected him to ignore everyone else and focus on her, but he didn't. He had a way of giving each person his full attention, making them feel in that moment as if they were the most interesting person in the world. Even though we were only 14, I have never seen anyone work a crowd like him.

Just as I was about to turn away, his eye caught mine and we stared at each other, just like we had done today. There was this deep and instant connection between us. I can't explain it any other way. It couldn't have been more than 10 seconds we were staring at each other, but it seemed a lifetime, until Isaac broke into a broad grin that melted me and introduced himself, drawing me into the group.

Isaac chose me to show him around the new school and help him find his locker, turning down the flirty brunette who offered. I can only imagine what else she would have offered had he shown any interest. I couldn't understand why he'd pick me over her, except I couldn't deny there was an instant bond. I know he felt it too.

We were inseparable after that. I helped him with his algebra. He taught me how to cook. We would goof off at the mall after school, or play X-Men at the arcades. We would sneak out and ride roller coasters whenever the fair rumbled into town, then finish the night with sticky fingers as we split an elephant ear* dripping with butter and honey. For a girl whose formative years had been lonely, Isaac was the light that brightened my days.