Chapter 26 - Part 2

Isaac's reveals his thoughts in a burst.

"You'd think at least one person would remember. Is that asking too much? I don't need a cake or balloons or flowers. Just a simple 'Happy Birthday' would be nice."

Ah. So that's what this is about.

"Even Gran didn't remember," Isaac says.

"Well, maybe her memory is starting to fade. She forgot my last birthday," I lie. Violetta actually made me an epic red velvet cake, but I know that won't be helpful to bring up right now.

"Sophie didn't remember either. We talked about it two days ago and she seemed excited about it. Then today, nada. She hasn't mentioned it all day. Good luck blaming that on old age."

"Maybe she forgot because of her sickness," I say.

"Sophie felt fine most of the morning. She didn't say a word. No one remembered. Not even...not even you. I thought maybe we were going to the store to ... never mind. It's just that you and Gran used to be the only ones to remember my birthday. Polly was usually too drunk to celebrate."

Isaac sounds so hurt. I'm realizing just how foolish Sophie's idea is. Isaac has been suffering all day because he thought no one remembered him. I'm tempted to spill the whole thing, but Sophie will never forgive me.

"Happy birthday, Isaac," I say sincerely.

"Never mind. I feel like an idiot for even saying anything. Go on in," Isaac says.

I pull out my phone and pretend to check my messages.

"It's a text from Sophie," I say. "I told her about the car breaking down and you driving me home. She's asking you to swing by the house so she can give you something."

Isaac opens his mouth to say something, then shuts it again.

"Fine," he says.

We get out of the car and walk up the path to the front door. I open it.

"Surprise!" Everyone yells. The guests swarm him then. He knows a few of the guests, but most of them, he doesn't. The noise and laughter and music and clattering are pressing in from all sides. I glance up at his frozen face and instantly know what's happening. I grab Isaac's hand and lead him through the crowds, smiling and thanking everyone for coming.

Once we make it to the bathroom, I open the door, gently push him inside, and shut it behind him. Poor guy. I resist the urge to slip inside and talk him through it. I didn't realize his birthday meant so much to him. If I would have realized, I wouldn't have cared what Sophie wanted. I would make sure he felt special.

"Beth!" Sophie says, making a grand entrance wearing a gorgeous, tropical sundress with her glossy hair pulled up in a high ponytail. "You made it! Where's the birthday boy?"

"Call of the wild," I say, pointing to the bathroom door.

"Well, tell him to hurry up in there," she says. "I have so many people I want him to meet! Mary! I'm so glad you could make it. You too, Bob. Have you found the refreshments, yet?"

I walk into the living room, surprised by how quickly it has emptied. Most of the guests have gone out by the pool. I pick up my present from the table.

"Beth!" a voice says.

I turn around. It's Greg.

"Oh, hi," I say flatly. I refuse to acknowledge how handsome he looks, or how cute his dimples are. Nope. I don't need more Greg drama.

"So, you never came back to the dance," he says.

"Actually, I did. You were pretty distracted with some girl in a pink bikini."