Chapter 34

Isaac

My flight from Ghana gets in late, and by the time I arrive at Malcolm Estate, Gran is fast asleep. We had planned to eat dinner together. I warm up a plate of delicious-looking leftovers and shovel the food down. The food tastes amazing. I've sorely missed Gran's cooking.

Staggering to bed, I pass out with my clothes still on.

The next morning, I am stiff from my cramped flight home. A hot shower loosens my muscles. While in the shower, I make a mental note to check in on the repairs to her house later today. I dress and jump on the SilentHawk. Once the contest is over, David's making me give it back, so I'm using it right up until the last possible minute. I do love my new car, but sometimes a car feels so closed in. I like the freedom of the SilentHawk, with the sun on my back and breeze on my face.

As I ride to Solaire, my thoughts turn toward Beth. And Sophie. It seems so long since I've seen either of them, although it's less than two weeks. Every time my thoughts turn in that direction, I realize what a mess I've made of things. Beth will never forgive me if I break up with Sophie while she's still recovering from the dog attack, and I can't continue to lead Sophie on. I think that will only make things worse. It seems we are at a standstill.

I arrive at Solaire and go inside. As I walk by the break room, I glance over and notice Beth is standing there, facing away from me. I stop in my tracks, floored by her beauty. That's the girl I want. It's the only girl I want. Ever since I met her, I think I've known it.

I walk toward her.

"Peter!" she says as she turns to me with a bright smile. Her smile turns to confusion as she registers it's me. My heart sinks and I feel sick to my stomach. What the hell? Peter's here?

"Oh, hello, Isaac. How was your trip?" Beth asks.

"Fine." Until now. "So, you're expecting Peter?"

"Yes. He's been working with me on my video edits," she says.

That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is Beth's bright smile. I know I've made some mistakes with Beth, but I thought I had time to fix them. Would she move on so quickly to Peter? You don't get over someone you've loved your whole life so quickly.

"Gran's been asking about you," I say. "She asked me to invite you over for dinner tonight."

"I would love to, but ..."

"Beth, love. You wouldn't believe it. I pulled a few strings and snagged us Coldplay tickets for tonight," Peter says, handing them to her. "Great seats, too. Near the front."

Beth, love? Seems to me like there's a lot more going on here than just video edits.

"Peter, you remember Isaac, don't you?"

"Sure! You were in Africa, right? How's your girlfriend doing?"

I force myself to smile, but I don't feel it inside.

"Recovering," I say.

"Beth, I have tremendous news. I heard back from my mortgage lender and I have a preapproval on the house. Do you think I could swing by and check it out sometime this week?"

"You'll need to ask Isaac about that," Beth says, looking uncomfortable. "He and his grandmother are renting Malcolm Estate so they can finish up the repairs on her house."

This news rocks me to the core. Peter is planning to buy Beth's house? He's making his intentions clear then. No doubt he knows she loves that house. He might even be using it as leverage to draw her in.

"You're selling?" I ask Beth.

"Father and Mariah told me after you left for Africa. The sale won't go through until the end of the summer, though, possibly even later, right Peter? I did tell you it might only be available for the summer."