Chapter 26 - Part 1

Beth

The tears are flowing heavily by the time I make it to the house. I head straight to the kitchen for a garbage sack, then to my bedroom to open one special box I had brought it to Sophie's for an important purpose. I've been avoiding the task, but it's clear it's long past time to deal with it.

Cutting the box with a boxcutter, I lift up the flaps and dump it out. It's an odd assortment of programs and tickets and pressed flowers. This pile represents moments in my relationship with Isaac.

I hold up the corsage Isaac gave me when we went to prom. One of the brittle petals drifts to the floor. It doesn't escape my notice, the realization that our love is as old and fragile as these pressed flowers.

And dead.

I shove it into the garbage sack, along with tickets and programs and knick knacks from so long ago.

It's humiliating to think I've kept these things all this time, that I've held onto an impossible dream. I just can't do it anymore. I stuff everything into the stupid sack. I get to the last item, and my hand hovers over it. It doesn't seem fair to throw this out. It's not mine, it's Isaac's. He should be the one to decide if he wants it or not. I pick it up, set it back in the box carefully and fold the flaps.

It's painful to do this, but necessary. I need to close my heart off from Isaac for good.

A door slams in the distance.

"Beth?"

I hear Sophie's footsteps moving in my direction. Anxious to not be caught, I tie the bag and shove it under the bed. Wiping my eyes, I flop on the bed seconds before she enters the room.

"There you are!" Sophie says. "We brought all the boxes in. I wanted to stay and watch a movie, but Isaac said he didn't feel like it. I even told him we could keep the sound down so it didn't annoy his grandma, but he still didn't bite. So I guess it's just you and me tonight. What do you want to do?"

"You go ahead," I say. "I just want to sleep."

"You all are a bunch of deadbeats," Sophie laughs. "Listen, Beth. I have this great idea. Isaac's birthday is coming up this Friday and I want to throw him a surprise party! I'm thinking we should make it super fancy with lights strung up all around the pool and roses on the table. I can whip up a batch of my famous coconut cream cupcakes."

"I'm not sure Isaac would want a surprise—"

"Of sure he'd love it," Sophie says.

"And he's allergic to coconut," I add.

"Oh. Well, that sucks. My coconut cupcakes are epic. How allergic is he?"

"Very," I say a little testily. "German chocolate is his favorite."

"Chill, Beth. It's no biggie. I'll just make him chocolate, then. Everyone else will want the coconut cream, I'm sure. Let his grandmother know and I'll take of the rest. Invitations, decorating, everything. Oh, and we all have to pretend like we forgot his birthday. Won't that make the surprise more fun? You have to promise me not to say a word. I want this night to be epic!"

By the time Sophie leaves my room, my head is throbbing. I down a couple of pain pills and pass out.

The rest of the week passes in a blur. Every day is jam packed full of meeting with professionals—graphic designers, coders, and marketers. I am learning so much. Even if I don't pass the next round, the experience itself is worth it. I am particularly grateful for Mike. He and his team have been working around the clock to develop the app. I can't believe how good it is turning out.