Chapter 25

Beth

"I can't believe Boob boy is still in the running!" Sophie says. "I swear the judges are compromised and the only reason he's still in the competition is they want to see his product in action!"

We are kicked back on her leather couches sipping lemonade. I shift to a more comfortable position.

"It's not so much a reflection of the quality of his product as it is that Janet had an even worse one," I say. "I'm still not even sure what her product was, even though she tried to explain it to me at least ten times. Here's the worst part. I'll be lucky to beat the Boobinator. How embarrassing is that? I suppose the silver lining is the competition would have been more intense if I was in my old group. I would have been sent home for sure before Robert after messing up the first round. As it is, the judges insisted if I want to stay in the competition, I need to fix my app. I can't believe it was so glitchy. I swear Mike and I tested it."

"Mike will figure it out," Sophie says waving her hand airily.

"Easier said than done," I grumble. "Selena has the best shot of winning the next round. The judges loved her app. I think half the reason they pushed so hard for me to make one is because they liked hers so much. Cole's rubbing it in my face that he was right. I don't know what you saw in that guy in the first place, Sophs. I wish I wasn't in such a dysfunctional group."

"Hmm."

"Sophie! You're not listening to a word I'm saying. Why do you keep staring out the window?"

"Oh, it's nothing," Sophie says.

"You're a terrible liar!"

"Fine. Isaac mentioned he was moving into your house with his Gran today. I'm planning to help him. I know how upset you were at him for not keeping you in his group, but maybe you ought to give the guy a second chance. I hope you won't scare him away just because you're mad at him. I really like Isaac, and I know he likes me."

It's strange to see Sophie serious about a guy, especially considering her track record switching out boyfriends on a regular basis. It's even stranger that Isaac is the man she's falling for. I can tell she's sincere, though. It's not fair of me to block her happiness, no matter how disconcerting this all feels.

"Fine. I'll try to be civil to Isaac."

"That's all I ask," Sophie says. "He might want to come over and hang out sometime, but he probably won't if he thinks you disapprove."

"Don't worry about me. All you have to do is tell me he's coming and I'll stay out of your way," I say, finishing the last of my lemonade and standing up to wash my glass.

"Actually, I was hoping you might be willing to help me out. I am helping Isaac unload the truck and was wondering if you could keep his gran company. I don't think she likes me very much."

"Violetta? I'm sure you're mistaken. She's a sweetheart."

"Maybe. Wait! I just got a text. It's from Isaac. So will you go over with me?"

I sigh. I had planned to obsess over my product all night, but maybe it would be better to take a break. It will be nice to see Violetta again. I haven't been to her cafe for a few weeks.

"Sure. Let me run a brush through my hair first."

Five minutes later, we are walking in the direction of my home. Isaac and his grandmother are standing on the sidewalk when we arrive. I join them.

"It's so good to see you again, Violetta," I say, giving her a hug.

"Beth, dear girl. You haven't been to see me in awhile."