Chapter 28 - Part 1

Beth

"This trick works every time, I swear," Sophie says as I drive us to Solaire Monday morning. "When Cole gives you advice, look straight into his eyes like this. No, Beth. Not with daggers. Soften those eyes. Now for eyelash power. Look directly into his eyes, then down gently, then back up. Now smile and say in the friendliest voice you can manage, 'Thanks. I'll consider that.'

I look over at Sophie and flutter my eyelashes.

"Thanks, Cole. That idea sucks," I say.

Sophie groans.

"What? I'm just being honest."

"I'm not asking you to lie. You're not saying you have to think Cole is giving you good advice. You're not saying you'll use it. You're just saying I'm listening to what you're saying and I respect your right to share it. He's just trying to be helpful, Beth. He doesn't know how to do it without being abrupt. So just let him know you're grateful that he cares enough to try. You don't need to be intimidated by him."

"You want me to flirt with him," I say flatly as I turn the steering wheel. "Sorry, but I skipped charm school, and I'm not about to start now. At least he's finally off my back more now that I've created the app."

"That's good, anyway. Hey, did you notice anything different about Isaac at the party?" Sophie asks.

"Other than him being overwhelmed by all those people? Not really," I say, trying to keep from blushing. "Why do you ask?"

"He's been acting weird ever since. I'm not even sure if he liked his birthday party. You don't think he's upset with me, do you?" she asks.

"Uh, I think you need to ask him," I say. If Sophie knew Isaac had tried to kiss me in the kitchen, she would be so hurt. At least I had put an end to it before it got too far.

"Yeah, you're probably right," she says.

When we arrive at Solaire, David informs us that another person will be eliminated from each group today. He has a surprise for all those who are not eliminated. We will get the opportunity to work with a video production company to film the story behind our products. The best part is we will be traveling to Nantucket Island to shoot the videos. The winners in four categories (education, energy, textile and agriculture) will present their products at the The Nantucket Project, an annual conference on the island that includes innovative decision makers and thought leaders.

I am excited to do this on multiple levels, not simply because I will see my family again (I've missed them terribly—especially the children), but to prove to myself that I can do this. I am especially keen to not be sent home and have my father rub my loss in.

Mike and I work all day polishing the app and preparing my pitch. I'm grateful for Mike. He's the positive counterbalance I need with Cole as my mentor. He also understands my drive to get the app perfect!

At last, the moment of decision arrives, and Selena, Walter (aka Boob Boy), and I stand before the judges. Selena is asked to present first.

Poised as always, she launches into her pitch.

"In a world that is becoming increasingly competitive, parents are desperate for solutions that give their children an edge into getting into the most prestigious universities. Everyone is familiar to the standard approaches. SAT tutors, prep tests, AP course, Academic summer camps. The latest approach? Academic drugs.

"Many high school students under the gun to score well on tests abuse ADHD drugs like Adderall. To a person suffering from ADHD, the drug calms them. To others, though, it gives them a jolt of energy and focus that can last for hours and give them an edge over fellow test takers. Some are dubbing this phenomenon as academic steroids.