Chapter 19

Beth

The Next Big Thing competition formally kicks off today. After a light breakfast of yogurt and a banana, Sophie and I drive over to Solere.

In the heart of the building rests a large atrium known as the Fishbowl. It's called that because it sits below the main level and features a water fountain stocked with fish. The only way to get to the Fishbowl is down one of the sets of stairs in each corner of the room. Indoor trees fringe the edges of the room, and tables are scattered throughout the room. I suppose it's the company's attempt to help the employees feel like they are communing with nature while eating lunch or taking a work break. Today, the space is crammed with tables that each bear a white place card and a number.

I pull a slip of paper out of my pocket. It's as I remembered—I'm #20. Sophie is #8. She gives me a quick hug and moves in one direction, while I walk in the opposite. Weaving my way between the tables and people packing projects in boxes, I finally reach my table.

It doesn't take me long to pull out my project and arrange it on the table. I step back to survey my work critically . I have to admit, it actually looks pretty sharp.

"Beth?" a man's voice says. I turn to see David.

"Hey," I smile. "It's a circus in here."

"You think this is bad? Just wait until they open the doors for the public. It's going to be crazy. Still, I'll never admit to Isaac that he might be right."

I laugh.

"So, Beth," David looks a little uncomfortable. "I just wanted to apologize for putting you on the spot the other day in the office. I was frustrated with Carrie, but that doesn't give me any excuse. You'll be happy to know I actually took your advice and lined up an appointment with a marriage counselor. Carrie's not too thrilled about it, but she's agreed to go."

"I'm glad," I say. "I can't imagine it will be easy, but focusing on your family is the most important thing."

"Yeah, yeah. Well, I better run. Big day ahead," David says.

"Good luck," I say, relieved that I only have to worry about my little booth and not running the whole thing. I can't imagine being in charge. I hope David and his wife get the help they need, but I have to think running a stressful competition while your marriage is in jeopardy may not be David's smartest move.

I drift from table to table, scoping out the competition. There are some pretty impressive entries, and others, not so much. One looks like a giant caterpillar constructed of flexible tubing. I have no clue what it does, though.

I feel a hand and my elbow and I turn.

"I thought it was you!" says a blonde woman wearing a cream colored pant suit. Heidi pulls me in for a hug. "You look wonderful, Beth. That dress suits you."

"Thanks," I smile. "You look amazing yourself."

"It's been way too long since we talked," Heidi says.

"David said you just got back from vacation. How was Tahiti?" I ask.

"Stunning. Looking around at these people, I feel like flying straight back and booking a private spot on the beach. Just me, the sun, and a good book, right?"

"Sounds heavenly," I say.

"Listen, I have to run, but let's do lunch, okay? Maybe Isaac can join us. Have you seen him around? I spoke to him briefly at David's party. Emphasis on the briefly. He was swarmed by all these women. Not that I can blame them, considering Isaac's easy on the eyes and he has that rugged world traveler charm. I was disappointed you weren't there, though. I know you had a good excuse with Olivia being sick and all, but I was so looking forward to seeing you again."