Chapter 35 - Part 2

Isaac

"So, what kind of guys does Sophie usually date?" I ask.

Beth chooses her words carefully.

"In the past, it's usually been guys like Greg. Guys just looking for a good time. Sophie typically goes out with a guy for awhile, flirts with him, kisses him, and moves on. I'm sure she feels different about you."

"Why would it be any different with me?"

"Because you wouldn't accept that," Beth says, her voice trembling a bit. "You don't lead girls on or play with their emotions for an ego trip. If you like a girl, you're all in. That's just who you are. That's why I had to respect your relationship with Sophie. I knew you wouldn't use her."

"I barely know Sophie. If you knew she was a tease, as my friend you should have given me a heads up if you knew she would likely break my heart," I say.

"I didn't want to intrude," Beth looks uncomfortable.

"And yet you didn't warn me. I see nothing different about the way she's treated me compared to those other guys. That night we moved into your house—Sophie kissed me, not the other way around. And maybe that doesn't mean much to you, but it makes a helluva difference to me. It's the difference between being blindsided and not knowing how to react, versus planning and taking action."

"I could maybe buy that if weren't for all those other kisses," Beth says, biting her lip. "You don't accidentally keep kissing someone."

"You may or may not believe it, but Sophie initiated all of them. The biggest mistake I made was not clarifying things right away. After she kissed me once, she just assumed she had the right to kiss me all the time. Does that sound like the Sophie you know? The one that flirts? Who kisses freely? Who assumes she's your girlfriend and never bothers to ask? Who throws you a surprise birthday party because she doesn't listen to those who actually know you who tell her you won't like it? Who makes cupcakes even though she knows you're allergic to them because she cares more about what the guests think than her so-called boyfriend?

"But can you blame me for feeling flattered at first? You had made it clear you weren't interested anymore, and if you won't have me, I do need to find someone. You understand that, don't you Beth?"

"I never made it clear I wasn't interested!"

"The night when you showed me the house. You were pretty scathing. That's when I backed off."

"I guess I was," Beth says, frowning. "But in my defense, I didn't understand the situation."

"Neither did I," I say. "Then you gave me that scrapbook, and I knew I couldn't keep pretending with Sophie. That day Sophie was attacked by the dog? I was planning to break up with her right after she did the video."

"You were?" Beth says.

"Yes. I had it all planned out in my mind. But after Sophie got hurt, I couldn't do it. Not with her hurt and torn up like that."

"Of course you couldn't. Of course you can't, not now," Beth says. "She's depressed. She doesn't feel attractive with all those injuries. It would be a terrible time for you to break up with her. It might be enough to put her over the edge."

"Why do you keep pushing me away, Beth?" I groan. "I swore to myself after you broke up with me all those years ago, I'd never let myself be put myself in a position like that again. Like a fool, here I am. I will break up with Sophie because I have to, because it's not fair for me to lead her on if I know we won't make each other happy, especially if I know who is right for me."