Chapter 27 - Part 2

Isaac

I put my left arm around Beth and take her right hand in mine. She moves in closer and I breathe in her scent. She smells of lavender and vanilla. It stirs something deep inside.

We sway awkwardly to invisible music.

"So, you took Greg over to the house?" I say, trying to sound as casual as possible. I see a hint of a smile on Beth's face and I don't know how to read it.

"Yes. He wanted to see the bullet hole in the stairs," Beth says.

Right. Like I buy he's going over there just to look at a bullet hole. I had ulterior motives to go to her house. I'm sure Greg does too.

"What did he think?" I ask.

"He liked it. Violetta insisted on staying with us though. "

Is it possible to love that woman even more than I already do?

"I have to admit I'm surprised you let him into the house in the first place," I say. "Weren't you mad at him for cheating on you?"

"You can hardly call it cheating. Cheating implies we are a couple."

Whoa, wait. They weren't a couple? Then why was she so upset with me?

"You weren't together?"

"No, of course not! I barely know Greg. I just met him that night at the party. It turns out that girl that kissed him was drunk and randomly kissing guys."

"And you buy that?"

I shrug.

"I confirmed it with Sophie and a few others. Greg happened to be in the line of fire. The timing couldn't have been worse, though. He asked me out on a date."

"Are you going?" I ask.

"I told him I'd think about it. What do you think?"

What do I think? I think she shouldn't be asking me. I can't tell her not to date him, especially since I've been dating Sophie. I refuse to tell her to date him.

"I don't trust him," I say.

"Why not?" she asks.

I pause, choosing my words carefully.

"I don't think there's anything wrong with Greg. He seems like a nice enough guy. I just wonder if you want the same things. I don't get the impression he's looking to get serious."

"Who says I want anything serious?" Beth asks, arching an eyebrow.

I take her hand and pull it to my chest. I'm sure she can feel my heart racing beneath my shirt. The longer we dance, the more her hand relaxes.

We stare into each other's eyes, drifting closer and closer to each other until her head is resting against my chest and she closes her eyes. We are moving in perfect unison. I inhale her scent and close my eyes too. We sway like that for a few minutes. It feels incredible to have her near me after dreaming of it all these years.

"Will you have dinner with me and Gran Sunday?" I whisper. "She has it in her head we need to celebrate my birthday proper."

Beth pulls back warily.

"I don't think that's a good idea," she says.

"I'm not asking for a date," I say. "Just dinner, like we used to do."

"I know. I feel like a third wheel around you and Sophie. Besides, I'm probably going on a date with Greg."

"Oh," I say. I'm trying to think of a way to tell her I hadn't even thought of inviting Sophie without seeming like an insensitive jerk.