Chapter 31

Beth

The next morning at breakfast, Peter joins us. Over the clink of forks cutting food and glasses being filled, I update him and the others on Sophie's status.

"She lost a lot of blood, but she's in stable condition right now. The doctor had to stitch her up quite a bit though," I say.

"What a relief she's okay," Aunt Alice says as she pours sugar into her coffee and stirs it.

"It could have been so much worse," Peter says. "You should have seen the dog attack her. It was horrifying. I should have listened to Isaac and waited to continue with the shoot. I didn't see the danger until it was too late."

"There was no way of knowing exactly what would happen," I reassure him.

"So Beth, I can't believe we haven't told you our news," Mariah says as she spoons the flesh from her grapefruit. "We're selling Malcolm Estate! We found this gorgeous villa right on the beach and instantly fell in love, didn't we, Father? It's so much nicer than being crammed into this tiny house!"

I push my scrambled eggs to the other side of my plate. I'm suddenly not hungry anymore. The thought of permanently losing Malcolm Estate makes me sick to my stomach.

"We will be neighbors with Mahata Swami, imagine that! He lives in a $12 million dollar mansion that is absolutely breathtaking and runs spiritual retreats in his home. Father and I went to one as special guests, and you would not believe how many underwent vows of poverty. It was so inspiring. We were so moved we nearly joined in ourselves, but Mahata Swami felt like it might make more sense if we lived those vows in our hearts as he does, and upon further reflection, we agreed with him.

"Peter is actually the one that told us about the villa. I told him my exact specifications and can you believe it? He matched each one. You're going to love your new room."

I had thought that maybe if I won the contest and the app sold well, I could buy the house from my father. It would probably take a long while to even come up with a down payment for a loan, and if they're anxious to buy a house in Nantucket, they won't wait on me.

"I thought we had decided to move back to Lexington after the summer," I say. "We're not in a position where we have to sell quite yet."

"It's not a matter of having to, Beth. Father and I want to sell the house. Coming here this summer has affirmed it. We'd much prefer living here near the water and the fresh air of the island. I don't have more than a couple of headaches a week now. If you remember, I used to get them every day. We've never been healthier, have we Father? And happier! The children adore living on the beach. Olivia and Toby are making friends. Besides, we have been given a very generous offer on Malcolm Estate."

"Indeed," my father says. "The island has been most settling to our souls."

An offer already! I shouldn't be surprised they've moved forward on selling the house without telling me, but it still stings deeply. It's just one more reminder how little control I have over my life.

"Tell me, Beth," my father says. "Have you been using my new creams? Your complexion is much improved. You know what they say, the face is the window to the soul."

He would think that.

"Uh, no, I'm not using anything special on my face. I didn't realize we were entertaining offers on Malcolm Estate," I say.

"Well, now I feel awkward," Peter says. "I didn't realize they hadn't discussed my offer with you."

"You want to buy it?" I ask.