Chapter 21

Beth

I don't have much of an appetite at lunch. I try to focus on the details of Heidi's vacation and the latest boyfriend she broke up with, but my thoughts keep returning to Isaac.

I am grateful he never responded to Heidi's invitation. I can't imagine how strained that would be to have sit across him, or worse yet, next to him.

When we arrive back at Solere, Sophie links arms with me.

"Lucky! I can't believe you got Isaac. Though I don't think I would be able to keep a coherent thought with him around. Talk about distracting! My mentor is a guy named Cole, whoever that is."

No kidding on the distraction thing. The irony of the role reversal has not escaped my notice. I spent so many years helping Isaac with his studies, and now he has to be the one to help me. If only we weren't losing our home, I wouldn't even have to be in this position.

"Beth, are you even listening to me?" Sophie pouts.

"Sorry, what were you saying, Sophs?"

"I was asking if you got into a fight with Isaac or something?"

"No. Why do you ask?"

Sophie shrugs.

"C'mon Sophie, what happened?"

"I overheard him talking to David. He was pretty mad when he saw your name on his list."

"Oh?" I say, stupidly.

"He actually dragged David into the other room to talk about it. You really have no idea why?"

I shrug as if I have no clue. I probably should tell Sophie about my broken engagement to Isaac, but I really don't feel like talking about it. The thought of Sophie pumping me for details doesn't interest me. Besides, it would certainly get back to David and Heidi, and they would feel hurt we had kept it from them. Best to not bring it up.

"Oh! It looks like my group is gathering over there," Sophie says. "See ya later, Beth."

I quickly find my group. There are four of us total. I introduce myself to them and explain my project to the two guys and girl in my group.

Robert is a tall, lanky guy with sandy colored hair that swoops over his forehead and a great smile. He has invented a ball that recharges batteries. All you have to do to charge the battery is open the ball, snap your batteries in, shut it and throw it with your friends. He lets me try it out. He and the other guy, Pete, toss the ball back and forth during our conversation.

Pete is short, with a full head of dark hair and an intense expression. He is wearing his invention. They are a pair of running shoes that uses the energy of the runner to light them up. That way, he explains, people who like to run early in the morning and late at night can be seen. I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed with his prototype.

The girl's name is Ling. She has long, gorgeous black hair and impeccable style. She has designed a jewelry line that somehow works with the energy of the person wearing them. I don't understand how it works, but I am charmed by her work. I am particularly drawn to a copper silver bracelet in a gorgeous twisted design with an amethyst stone. She is seriously talented.

Overall, I am pleased with my group. They are funny and quirky and a bit on the quiet side. Pete is the most outgoing of the group, but not in an obnoxious way. I can tell I will fit in great with them. The only member of the group I'm still concerned about is Isaac.

I scan the room. All of the mentors are with their groups except for ours. I flush a bit as I remember that I'm the reason why Isaac isn't here. I'm pretty sure I don't want to know what David and Isaac are talking about.