9

Neriah

I sat across from my mom as she looked everywhere but me.

After we landed I came up with a quick game plan. I made a few calls to arrange some things for her.

"I appreciate what you did for us back at the house I really do. That doesn't mean we're buddies all of a sudden. I just got off the phone with the building manager and he has a one bedroom apartment two floors below us. It's fully furnished you just need groceries and to put your things in. There is a grocery story next door for the people who live in this apartment complex and the one across the street." I put a stack of money on the coffee table and pushed it towards her.

"It's $8,000. You can do whatever you want with it." Jacq said. "But before you take, we want to make a deal with you."

"Wha'tis it?"

"We'll pay for your apartment and all the utilities as long as you watch Noah when we need you to."

"Yes, that's no problem." She smiled slightly.

"There is a one problem. His mom is a little crazy. If you see her, if she so happens to find out where you are and you have Noah, call the police, I don't want him no where near her." Jacq said.

"What does she look like?" Jacques pulled out his phone and showed her pictures. "I can remember what the girl look like."

"Okay good. I guess I'll show you your apartment." I stood up and grabbed my purse and she grabbed her bag before heading for the door. She followed behind me and we left out and went to the floor manager's office. Since there are so many Apartments each level has a floor manager.

I knocked on Caroline's door and waited for the okay to come in.

"It's open." I opened the door and let my mom in first. "Hi Riah."

"Hi, I called James no to long ago about the apartment two floors below my apartment.  He said he was gonna send paperwork and the key up to you."

"Oh yeah." She pulled a draw out and took out a white envelope. She opened it and pulled a packet out.

"You must be Mrs. Calvin."

"Yes." My mom said.

"Okay I need you to read and sign all highlighted areas with your initials." 

My mom looked at me and I took the packet and read everything for her. My mom doesn't know how to read all that well. When I was in elementary school I used to teach her the stuff I learned, so she could learn to read and write.

This was my first time reading this packet since Jacques did all this for me while I was in jail.

"Go ahead and sign all the highlights." My mom put her initials down where there was a yellow rectangle.

"What's the starting cost?" I asked Caroline.

"You pay now for the first three months, which is $2,250." I pulled my checkbook out and wrote out a check for the amount.

I ripped it out the binding and handed it to
Her.

"Well welcome to the Crystal apartment family Mrs. Calvin." Caroline stuck her hand out and my mom shook it. "Here is your key." She pulled out a small envelope with the apartment number on it and have it to my mom.

"Thank you so much."

After Caroline went over the guid lines and rules we left out her office and got on the elevator to get to her new apartment.

She took the key out and unlocked the door.

We walked in and she gasped.

"It's so beautiful in here." She went to the kitchen and it was the first time in a long time I saw her genuinely smile. She wiped a falling tear and walked around the apartment. It's much smaller than mine but I figured it would be a nice size for her.