19

Third person

Jacques held his hands together in the freshly made bed trying to calm the tremors.

Bipolar depression had been passed down from mother to son, it was something that ran in the Lamin family. It had skipped generations but landed in the hands of Jacques Zion.

He discovered he had the same condition as his mother after he couldn't figure out why he was so sad all the time. Jacq had a short temper which caused him to get expelled form three different schools before the fifth grade. His mother, a more healthier Angelina, took him to a doctor after becoming concerned with his manic behavior and his sleeping habits. After multiple tests his mother's worries were confirmed. The doctor prescribed Olanzapine, a drug that can reduce the symptoms of the disorder. He'd probably have to take the pills orally, everyday, for  the rest of his life.

Missing a dose for even a day can cause an instant effect on the user's body. Jacq had now missed two days in a row now with signs of withdrawal taking over him.

"Thank you very much. Are you sure there isn't a place around here that might have it?" Neriah was on the fifth pharmacy in Toronto to see if they could fill Jacques prescription and no one seemed to be able to help. "Thank you again. Bye." Neriah sighed.

"That was the fifth place and they said no pharmacy can fill your prescription by tonight. The earliest they can fill it is next week." She straddled his lap getting concerned. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm good, it's just my hands." He held them out and they were shaking. Neriah held them and felt how cold they were. "Are you sure it's nothing else?" She let go of his right hand to place a hand on his forehead.

"I feel lightheaded." Neriah knew how to fix that. She didn't go to school for sports medicine for three years to not know how to help him.

"You should lay down."

"I can't the all star game starts in two hours." Jacq tried to get up but Neriah put a hand on his chest.

"You're staying here. You look all pale as it is. Look at your hands baby. You need to stay in bed." Jacq knew better than to argue back since he knew she was right. "I'm going to go down the hall to get you some water. You need to drink something." She climbed off of him and went to the closet and grabbed a pair of yoga shorts and pulled on a sweatshirt to cover her bra. She grabbed her phone from the bed and her wallet from the dresser to pay for the water. She would've gotten something from the hotel fridge but there was nothing in there except sodas and caffeine drinks. Something he definitely didn't need.

"Don't get out the bed." Slipping her feet into her Nike slides that laid next to the bed, she headed out the room looking for her key card. "Where could it be?"

She left that search for later and took the spare card from her purse and left out the room. 

"Hi Ri." Martin the day time security guard said as she walked out.

"Hey." She says waving to him as he sat at the end of the hall reading a magazine.

Neriah walked around the corner where the vending machines were and put in two dollars in the tall machine and passed the combination D4 to select a water. She repeated the process three more times before she went back to the room.

She sat her things on the counter and took the waters to the room, only to hear what it sounded like some one throwing up.

Jacq wasn't in the bed and the bathroom light was on. She followed the sound and saw him sitting in front of the toilet with his forehead on the seat.

"You okay?"

"Mhm." He said getting ready to throw up again. 

Neriah

I sat three of the four bottles of water on the bathroom counter and opened the fourth and handed it to him. He took it from me and took a few sips. I sat beside him and rubbed his bak. He handed me the bottle back and wiped his nose with the back of his hand.

"You still wanna go to the game?"

"Fuck you." He laughed slightly holding his stomach.

"Maybe later when you're feeling better, we can go for round two." I screwed the lid back on and sat it next to me. Jacq laid his head on my lap still with his hand in his stomach. "When did you start feeling lint this?" I ran my hand through his short curls.

"After the dunk contest." I hit his chest.

"Jacq why didn't you tell me?"

"Because I figured I'd take my meds the next day and get back on schedule but all my pills is missing."  I let out a deep breath.

"We're gonna get you some more okay. You just need to tell me these things so I can know." He nodded.

Jacq sat up again and leaned towards the toilet and rested his arms on the rim.  He started to throw up again.

Where did those pills go?

------------------