22

Neriah

I held the stop watch in my hand as the boys did this drill I have them doing. It's a suicide and then by the time they get to the free throw line they jump and touch the backboard and repeat. I really don't want to wear them out but I'm trynna give coach a little time to get his speech together. He texted me this morning letting me know that he planned on telling the team the news about the NBA's decision.

I looked at the team and their were really starting to slow down. I blew my whistle and everyone stopped. "Okay break." They went to the benches and grabbed their waters. I left them alone and went to coach's office to see how he was doing.

"Riah. I can't do this." Coach said rubbing his temples.

"I can tell them but I'm sure it'll be better coming from you."

"Your right. But I've been coaching this team for years and I'm not ready to let it go." He leaned back in his desk chair and folded his arms a crossed his chest.

"Do you need more time? You could tell them tomorrow." I sat in the chair across from him.

"I don't have till then. They want me to clear out my office by this evening."

"There's no way for you to get a little extra time? You can't leave just yet. It's nearly the end of the season." I really don't want him to go.

He laughed. "I love that you want me stay but I can't. It's not like I'm gonna pack my shit and become a hermit in my own home. They're gonna have me coach the Denver nuggets since their coach so happens to be retiring this year. So maybe this isn't so bad."

"Maybe." I looked at the wall behind him covered in gold plaques and metals for all the stuff he's won with this team. Hes gotten them this far, he could lead them higher but it's impossible now. Not every team is gonna have a family like bond or a relationship good enough to hang out with one another after games. I'm sure that's like finding a needle in a haystack. So I don't see why coach has to leave on account of everyone else.

"Well I think I've hidden enough in this office I think I should tell them know. Plus I have important news for you as well. You'll want to here this." Coach stood from his desk and left out the office and the silence in here became real to me.

He's really leaving.

Third person

"Everyone round up we need to have a team meeting for a second." The team sat around a small section of the arena tired and sweaty from doing drills with Neriah.

Riah sat next to Jacq who was listening intently.

"I have some very important news..." Coach paced the length of the side line picking his words carefully in his mind but he drew a blank. "...I'm just gonna come out and say it." He stopped pacing and faced everyone. "I'm being fired and then being rehired as the new coach of the Denver nuggets." Jaws dropped and looks of suprise and disbelief filled the room.

"But why?" Kevin asked with a confused expression on his face. "What about Neriah is she going with you too?" Mumbling amongst everyone filled the large space.

That was a question she wondered herself. Since she's his trainee she'd have to follow him to whatever team he went to. But how would she coach the team if she's miles away from them? She was starting to rethink all the conversations her and coach had about her being the next person to coach the team.

Jacq looked at Neriah and she looked at him. Thoughts raced his mind as soon as Kevin asked about Neriah's position on the team.

"Enough chattering guys." The mumbling and the whispering stopped. "The NBA felt we, as a team, didn't feel we had a strong relationship with one another. Which was true, there's no doubt about it. Other teams go bowling and out to eat after games as corny as it may seem. We don't do any of that. After games we all get on the bus and come back to the hotels and go our separate ways. As head coach this would be my fault. I didn't force a bond between all of us and the NBA saw that as a problem so they're letting me go. As for Neriah...." She sat on the edge of seat in anticipation. "I know we had a many conversations about this but I received some news today from NBA head quarters and they've done a lot of thinking." Coach pulled a ball from the rack and sat on it. "Neriah was supposed to coach this team after I left." Nearly everyone in the room raised their eyebrows in schock. "Which means she would've been the first woman in America to coach a male NBA team. But Adam Silvers the head honcho of everything felt like that would've started to much controversy. And they felt it would've distracted everyone's attention on her instead of the finals that are coming up. So they moved Neriah's contract with mine so she'll be finishing her internship with me out in Denver."