03

The first thing Lucifer states as Micky wakes up is "I don't care about you." She just shrugs. It makes no difference to her whether or not a vicious creature like Lucifer cares about her. He doesn't care for anyone, she thinks. Apparently not even his mate.

Lucifer furrows his eyebrows and his left hand twitches. Micky glares at him lightly before turning to the window that is a blinding white. "I never said you did." Micky's emotionless voice causes a small spark of something in his chest and he growls lowly at the feeling. All he should feel is hatred; he decided that that one day, long ago. He stares at Micky, watching the tree cause shadows to twirl on her pale cheeks.

"I need to leave." Lucifer tenses and he can feel his primal instincts rising. Mate, he thinks while clenching his jaw. The vein on his forehead pops out as he snarls.

"The only place you need to be is by my side, mate." His voice is rougher than normal and Micky notices that a hint of red shines brightly in his eyes. She shivers but bites her tongue.

"I need to leave," she repeats with more force, feeling frustration build up inside her. She has a family!

"I don't care," Lucifer snarls, his teeth elongating into fangs as his beast almost pushes through his human barrier. He runs his hand over her bandage and growls. Micky tilts her head, confused.

"Do you care about anything?" Her sarcastic tone starts a fire in Lucifer's chest and he abruptly stands up. His chair falls backwards as he hovers over the fragile girl. Micky just watches. Does he?

"No." His voice echoes in Micky's head as he leaves. She sighs.

"Who was he?" Lucifer tenses and grabs the chair handles.

"No one of importance," is the sharp response.

"You didn't answer my question." Micky pushes the subject, feeling like she'll die if she doesn't know.

"Omega in the Duskfall pack." Lucifer's anger flares as he says the name out loud, and a snarl coats his face like poison. Micky stills at this, but feels her eyes widen as her breathing shakes.

"It was the same pack," Micky chokes out. "It was the same pack."

"What do you mean?" Lucifer leans forwards in his chair and places his hand on the edge of the bed.

"The pack that I was attacking," she whispers. "He was part of the pack." She lifts her head up and whispers a quick apology before covering her face with her hair.

"You're apologizing?" Lucifer asks with bewilderment. He lets out a short, vicious laugh. "You're apologizing?" His laughter continues as Micky just pushes her head down even further.

"I always do." The words disgust Lucifer and he stops laughing.

"You shouldn't apologize after taking a life; you should bathe in the joy that you've rid this horrid world of another filthy creature." He sends a smirk towards the girl who hasn't looked up yet. Excitement claws at his insides and he feels his eyes light up. "It's what I do."

Micky starts to realize how much of an animal he is. He's not stable, she thinks to herself. "Do you really apologize every time? Do you know how many lives each one of those dogs have taken?" Micky can't hold back the anger.

"What about the lives you've taken, bitch?" A loud furious growl sounds through the room but Micky holds her head up high, her eyes widening and her nostrils flaring. She wants to leave. She needs to leave. "Or do you prefer dog?" Lucifer's hand reaches out and grabs her throat, tugging her roughly out of bed.

"Insult me again," he snarls, bringing his face closer and closer to Micky's.

"Whatever makes you happy, dog." She smirks but feels Lucifer tighten his grip. A whimper escapes her and she jerks around wildly, trying to get out of his grip. Maybe she doesn't deserve to live. Maybe this could be her way out. A smile appears on her face and she stops struggling which causes Lucifer to tilt his head. He feels his anger start to dissipate as his mate's eyes close. Panic swells up inside of him and he quickly releases the girl, hovering over her. His wolf instincts take over at the thought of his mate being dead. He reaches down and start CPR, pressing his lips against his mate's. Micky wasn't asleep.

Lucifer doesn't move the whole night until a wolf's scent tickles his nose. He stays in place but shallows out his breathing. He crouches closely to Micky's side, her breathing already soft enough as she sleeps. His ears twitch and his claws lengthen. Warmth lines his body like usual but this time the feeling is mixed with something deeper. He hates it.

The door behind the pair is pushed open and Lucifer's lips twitch upwards. As soon as the wolf is close enough to bite him, he whips around and punches it in the throat, chuckling as it falls on the floor. He straddles the wolf and holds its jaws closed as it snaps at him. His knee holds the animal in place, and it whimpers as Lucifer presses harder and harder on its chest. The wolf feels helpless.

Lucifer grabs the small dagger that he carries around and traces it down the side of the wolf. It growls but makes a gurgling noise as its stabbed. Lucifer continues to tease the wolf until it takes its last breath.

"How could you do that?" a voice full of hurt asks above him. Micky watches Lucifer's posture stiffen with disgust. After receiving no answer, Micky takes things into her own hands. "What if that was me? What if it was you?" Lucifer tenses at the words and a sharp pang of worry stabs him like he just did the wolf.

"I wouldn't be stupid enough to get into a situation like that. I can't say the same about you, though." He turns and looks her straight in the eyes, pushing all emotions out of his eyes and body. "And I wouldn't care." Micky glares at him.

"That's why you gave me CPR earlier, right? Or was that just an excuse to kiss me?" Micky feels angry, especially since that might have counted as her first kiss. It doesn't, she assures herself. And what about that guy on the playground? That counts, right?

"An excuse to kiss you?" Lucifer's deep voice cuts through the night with amusement. "Please."

"The point is, you do care. Why else would you have saved me three times?"

"It's my instinct," he replies instantly.

"Which also means that you care," she tells him. It's not a question, it's a fact. You always care about your mate; Micky was taught that at a young age. If you want to take someone out, go for the mate. She hears her dad's voice in her head. She misses him so much. Emotions build in her eyes and Lucifer watches them all come and pass. She now stares at the rogue blankly.

"Didn't I tell you earlier that I don't care about anything?" He rolls his eyes and Micky watches, biting her lip.

"Yes," she tells him. She's done. She is tired of being scared of him. She's tired of being weak. She is tired of living a life she is forced to live. This is her life, and now she's taking control of it. "Why did you lie?"

Micky has a horrible temper that hasn't really shown yet, so does her personality change make sense or not? Please give honest feedback, and if you say no, please tell me what I could do to improve this.

Thanks so much reading! I'm already at 149 reads!!! And a huge huge huge HUGE thank you and hug to everyone that has voted or commented. It means so much to me!

Stay gorgeous, lovelies! Sierra