24

Micky's eyes are wide open as she lays in bed, fear and thoughts taking over her mind. The sound of her shaky breaths and pants are heard by Lucifer, and he can feel Micky's warm body. Sweat covers her body and she squeezes her eyes closed.

"What's wrong, love?" Lucifer whispers, kissing Micky's shoulder. I don't know, she replies to herself.

"We aren't prepared," Micky finally responds. Her voice shakes as does her body, and old memories of being a hunter flash through her mind. She's turning back into a monster; she's becoming Assassin.

"We will be," Lucifer reassures. "Just a little more practice." He shoots Micky a small smile as she turns over. Her eyes are now open. Lucifer can see the fear that swirls through Micky and he kisses her nose. Micky's eyes flutter closed then snap back open at a small howl in the distance. Lucifer tenses and growls at the window, rushing up and opening the blinds. Lucifer sees Gabriel running towards the pack house.

"THEY ARE HERE!" Gabriel shouts as soon as he opens the front door. All at once, the pack rushes out of their rooms, some half-dressed, at the warning. Micky grabs her bow and arrow before running downstairs.

Lucifer pushes Micky behind Gabriel and looks up with a serious stare. "Protect her with your life." Gabriel nods and Lucifer runs off to the front of the pack. The pack has weapons in their hands, but that doesn't calm anyone. Micky's at the back of the pack, her eyes focused sharply on her surroundings.  The pack checks their surroundings as well, perking their ears then gripping their weapons once a bush rustles. Lucifer sniffs the air.

A wolf bursts out from behind a bush, attacking the young boy Micky smiled at earlier. The wolf leaves no time for the boy to shift and sinks its teeth into the boy's shoulder. Lucifer, outraged, growls and shifts into his wolf. Kill him. Protect what is yours, his instinct commands. Lucifer runs over and bites the wolf's hind leg, tearing a chunk of flesh out as he pulls his head away. The wolf howls and turns around, letting go of the boy to bare his teeth. Isaiah, who stands to the left of the injured boy, bends down and picks the boy up before dashing off to the pack house.

Lucifer stares into the wolf's eyes and his lips curl up in disgust as he recognizes who it is. A tracker. They sent out a tracker to start their attack. Lucifer spits out the fur-covered flesh and licks the blood from his lips. He shivers in delight at the taste of blood, and he anticipates the taste of death as well.

Lucifer lunges. The wolf is fast though and side-steps so that Lucifer misses. Lucifer turns around and bites the wolf's snout before it has the chance to bring its teeth near his body. Lucifer shakes his head back and forth while the wolf whines and tugs backwards, trying to dislodge itself. Finally, Lucifer moves his teeth from the wolf's snout to its throat and shows no mercy. Blood spills on the ground and pride overtakes Lucifer's heart. He feels alive.

Micky tears her eyes away from her mate to see flashes of color from every direction. The pack shifts while Micky loads her bow with an arrow. Then she shoots. She continues to reload her bow what feels like every second with her shaking hands. Murderer. Assassin. Think of the families and children of these people. How much are you willing to destroy? How many families are you willing to tear apart? Is this worth it? Micky looks at the blood on the battlefield and gulps, her eyes filling with tears as she takes down another wolf. And then a tear falls. Stay strong, Micky.

Meanwhile, Lucifer is fighting a wolf he used to know. They played together as kids and their moms were friends. Now, Lucifer fights like the man is a long-term enemy. Avoiding bites and scratches, only to give some in return for the man's failed attempts. He's weak. Lucifer lays his throat on the grass near his feet after getting tired of this play fight. He wants something different-someone that could actually level out with his skills. Only pack wolves attack and Lucifer takes out his frustration on them. Show no mercy.