19

Lucifer strokes Micky's faded blue hair out of her face to reveal her resting face. He grazes his tongue over the backs of his teeth, not once making a sound. I'm sorry, my love. Lucifer doesn't care about looking weak-no one is even in the room. Lucifer picks up a daisy from the vase of flowers Grayson brought for Micky. He tucks it in her hair and pulls his hand back to his lap. Look at you, Micky. So fragile, so broken. I thought you were fighting. I thought you were with me.

Lucifer opens the note and reads it for the fourth time, not failing to growl again. This one boy, Joshua, is the cause for his mate's suicide attempt. He wishes he knew the boy so that he could inflict as much pain into Joshua as his mate did to herself. Maybe a little more, actually.

Micky's nose twitches. The smell of stale air and pollen invades her nose and her arm subconsciously twitches. Lucifer's eyes catch the movement and in less than a second he has frantically hit the button that alerts staff that they are needed.

Doctors rush in followed by a few nurses, all ready to help the girl. They gather around Micky's bed as her pointer finger runs up and down the same patch of her bed. Everyone waits.

It's thirty minutes later when Micky's eyes finally open, only to squeeze shut again. A sharp throbbing courses through her head but she can't seem to make any noise of discomfort. The doctors have started running tests on Micky and one of the nurses brings a full cup of water to Micky's lips so she is able to soothe her throat. Lucifer's leg taps the floor repeatedly as he sits and waits, doctors and nurses blocking his mate's figure.

"She has not suffered any nerve damage or long-term injuries. She's a fighter." The words from the doctor spark a hole of anger in Lucifer and he can feel his eyes darkening. If she was a fighter, she wouldn't have tried to kill herself, Lucifer thinks. But instead he nods at the human doctor, containing his wolf so he doesn't expose his kind to the humans. He really needs to get a pack infirmary built soon.

The doctors leave a few hours later, long after Micky was propped up and speaking softly. "It wasn't worth it," Lucifer tells Micky. "Trying to kill yourself over a dead man and a group of werewolf hunters that can't wait to bring out 'Assassin' again."

"It wasn't," Micky hums with a nod of her head. "I was vulnerable. I killed Joshua and then I started reading his letter and I just couldn't comprehend anything. Old feelings mixed with new ones and it clicked that I turned my back on my own kind-on my family! I didn't know what to do; all I knew was that living isn't as fun as people make it out to be." Lucifer sits with a slow smirk rising onto his face.

"First of all, our pack is your family. We haven't forced you to do anything you don't want to. All we have done is given you love and support, though I do understand your reasoning for feeling as you did." Lucifer pauses to intertwine his hands and lean forward with a slight grin. "You killed Joshua?" Micky turns her head as her throat closes. She nods. Lucifer's laugh fills the air and Micky furrows her eyebrows, turning her attention back to Lucifer.

"What?"

"You killing Joshua is better than me doing it. I'm sure he felt a lot of pain, knowing that his ex-whatever-you-were-to-him turned her back on him and killed him." Lucifer leans back in his chair. "That'll help me sleep at night. I can just picture his face!" Lucifer chuckles and looks to the wall, his head filling with visions of a helpless, weak boy beg for mercy.

"He didn't feel anything," Micky says emotionlessly. "I made the wound in a fatal place. He didn't even see my face when I stabbed him with the arrow."

"A little disappointing, but I'll take it." Lucifer's not holding back his sadistic side at all and Micky can feel her heart swell up in hatred. "Is the flower bothering you?" Lucifer leans his left and forward and brushes the daisy.

"Not as much as you are," Micky responds in a cold tone. She closes her eyes and Lucifer smiles.

"Sorry, love." He shifts in his chair. "You know how I am. How I was before you came. That side of me isn't going away. I can only contain the beast around you and our pack. Doesn't stop my mind from running endless routes though."

"You mean when you kidnapped me."

"Precisely." Lucifer doesn't know why he feels so giddy. Maybe it's because his mate woke up, or that he knows his pack is alright. Maybe it's because his mind no longer swarms with thoughts of Sheldon, but ideas of how he can better himself and his pack. Maybe it's because his fighters are almost to his skill level. Maybe it's because he's in love.

"When can I leave? This room is boring." Micky's voice holds no emotion and she blocks out everything she feels from her eyes as well. Joshua's face keeps on popping up. Lucifer acts like his death is a joke. It isn't.

"The doctor told me that you need to stay until tomorrow night at least so that he can run scans on your brain to check for any long-term damage. He wants to make sure the stitches hold and that you are functioning well enough to leave before he even considers letting you leave. Tomorrow night might be his hope. I don't know."

"Well get the car ready because tomorrow night is the latest I'm leaving." Micky crosses her arms, feeling her stitches pull slightly. Her grumpiness causes Lucifer to smile. Lucifer grab's Micky's hand gently and kisses it before lacing it in with his.

"We'll see."

Obviously she isn't dead ;). I hope you guys enjoyed! Have a lovely week! -Sierra