23

"Who is Bates working for?" Lucifer asks Meredith, his hard eyes staring into her frightened ones.

"I don't know." Meredith's voice is soft and her eyes cast downwards in a shameful stare. "But I am not a part of what he is doing, I promise."

"You're lying to me," Lucifer chuckles. "Lying while I am asking nicely." Micky quietly descends the stairs and holds her breath while watching the pair.

"Please, Meredith. No harm will come to you or your pack, I promise. But we need answers." Micky's voice fills the air. Meredith shakes her head while butterflies dance in her stomach.

"I told you: I don't know," she repeats.

"Then look Lucifer in the eyes and tell him." Meredith raises her head quickly with a silent gasp. She releases a breath of air and then moves her gaze to meet Lucifer's. Micky watches silently.

"I don't know where Bates is or who he is working for," Meredith states but her voice shakes and her eyes don't meet Lucifer's near the end of her sentence. Lucifer slams his hands on the table which causes Meredith to squeal and jump in fright, her hand covering her heart.

"I never asked where Bates is," Lucifer smirks, catching onto Meredith's lies. His eyes dig into Meredith's head as she freezes. Lucifer curls his hand into a ball and Micky decides to stand by her mate.

"Are you with your brother?" Micky asks gently, taking a more settle approach to the interrogation. Meredith shakes her head and keeps her head bowed.

"No." Lucifer stays quiet but grinds his teeth together. Micky does nothing.

"Okay. Then you can head back upstairs." Micky flashes Meredith a fake smile but Meredith smiles back in relief. Once the pair hears Meredith's door close upstairs, they face each other.

"I want her gone, Lucifer," Micky whispers. "I want her out of here right now." Lucifer nods his head in agreement and calls for Gabriel.

"Kick Meredith and her pack out of our land. They are no longer welcome here." Gabriel's eyes shine with humor but he nods, containing his smile. It's about time. Gabriel walks back upstairs and starts pounding on the guest room doors. Lucifer and Micky wait.

Micky's heart drops as she sees the group walking down the stairs, none of their borrowed belongings with them. Tears stain Meredith's cheeks but some other guys look angry and sneer at the Alphas as they walk past. Lucifer growls as a warning.

Once they've left, Gabriel returns upstairs with a yawn and a small smile. Micky, however, feels guilty, but she knows that she can't take any risks. Lucifer doesn't feel anything. Instead, he pulls his mate onto his lap and kisses her cheek. Micky smiles and hides her face in Lucifer's chest while blushing.

"It's personal," Micky states, but it sounds like a question. Lucifer looks confused for a second but then he sets his lips into a thin line.

"Close to home," he corrects. Micky's eyes widen at that.

"A family member?" Micky asks in a shocked tone. She wasn't expecting that. Lucifer doesn't respond. "What would it stand for, then?"

"It's not revenge for a previous action by a single person. Someone planned to kill the person and sent Bates here as a distraction." Micky starts nodding while the gears in her head spin. They sent Bates for a reason. He was the warning shot.

"The body is about to be burned," Isaiah interrupts. Micky snaps back into reality and stands up with a small smile of appreciation.

"Thank you, Isaiah. You may leave." He bows his head with a grin and walks back upstairs. Micky and Lucifer walk outside to the fire.

When they arrive, Elliot is standing with a straight back and unmoving eyes. The body has been laid on the ground and dirt covers a lot of skin. Micky can still see the eyes, though, and she stops breathing. The bright blue eyes stare up and the mouth of the victim is open.

"She looks so much like you," Micky whispers. Lucifer doesn't stay anything but Elliot's eyes shift to the body. Elliot's eyes fill with realization and he sends Lucifer a pity glance before staring at the fire. Age lines fill the skin next to the woman's mouth and Micky figures out exactly who the dead body is. Lucifer gives Elliot a small nod.

Elliot lifts the body and tosses it into the fire then turns his head. A heavy feeling rests on his shoulders and he slouches. Micky follows Lucifer as he walks back into the house with a blank face.

When Lucifer and Micky reach their room, Lucifer takes his dirty socks off then lays on the bed without any hint of emotion on his face. "I'm sorry," Micky whispers. "No one should have to go through what you are right now."

"I don't care," Lucifer mutters. "I don't care about her."

"Yes you do," Micky fires back. "You would have torn the body apart then thrown it off our land if you didn't care. You went through the trouble of making a fire and avoided looking at the body as much as you could. Don't lie to yourself, Lucifer. It's okay to feel something." Lucifer scoops Micky up into his arms then rolls onto his back. He's quiet for a few minutes.

"I've pushed away all my memories and feeling for so long. I hardly even remember her."

"But you recognize her," Micky says gently. "That's better than nothing." Lucifer snorts.

"Hardly." Neither of them speak up for a few minutes.

"Who would kill your mother, Lucifer?" Lucifer clears his throat.

"My old Alpha hates my family."

"Silver eyes?" Lucifer's nostrils flare and he growls.

"You and I both know that's who I'm talking about," he spits. Micky's taken aback a little.

"Sorry." Micky rests her cheek on Lucifer's chest, listening to his heart rate slow. "Why?"

"My father was a traitor," Lucifer reveals. Micky doesn't ask anything else.

"Was that the final step of revenge?" Micky's words trigger something in Lucifer's brain and he shoots up. Micky falls off Lucifer with a startled gasp.

"No," he murmurs. "No. That was just the beginning." Lucifer stands up and rushes out of their room, calling for everyone to come down.

"The body was sent here as the start of something," Lucifer explains and Micky's eyes widen. Everything clicks for her. "The start of an attack, I think. Bates was a distraction." No one says anything but mixed emotions arise in the room and the atmosphere becomes tense.

"I know that we have good fighters," Micky starts, "But we need every single person to be an excellent fighter." Lucifer nods.

"I will help at training. I expect that all of you will work even harder and push yourself to your breaking point. We are a small pack, but we need to have lethal fighters if we want to win this."

"I will also train with my weapon and show you all how to use different weapons as well." Micky and Lucifer look at each other.

"Nothing less than perfection," Lucifer mumbles. "Nothing."

There's only one more chapter left! Are you excited? Have an amazing day, gorgeous! Love, Sierra