16

A few months later Micky's mind still isn't in the perfect spot. She can't let go of everything-not even when she's with Lucifer. The voice creeps up behind her every day, tugging on her hair and sending shivers up her spine. No one speaks of that day and it seems as though everyone is back to normal. Of course Lucifer was informed of what happened that day and was outraged. He turned into his beast.

But later that night he lied down with Micky on his bed and held her close, repeating, "I won't let anyone hurt you, mate. No one." He kissed her shoulder and she fell asleep for the first time in Lucifer's bed. Now they live in a room together and every night Lucifer tells his mate the same thing, trying to make her feel at ease. But she's terrified-for the pack, her mate; for her past to come back and royally screw things up. She's restless and her face has started to show it.

"Calm, my mate. I don't like seeing such a beautiful face so torn up over something that will never be an issue." Lucifer wraps his arms around Micky and rests his chin on her left shoulder to kiss her neck. But Micky knows that something is going to happen, and it's her fault.

"Don't make empty promises, Lucifer." She spins out of Lucifer's grip to flip the pancakes she's making for breakfast. Lucifer growls lowly, pulling Micky back into his hold.

"I have seen your pain for months. How can I help you?" Micky doesn't respond because she doesn't know what to say.

"How good are our fighters?"

"Most can fight me and there won't ever be a winner."

"How many?"

"37, love." Micky's leg shakes in worry.

"That's not enough. The hunters have 56 and weapons." Micky doesn't give Lucifer any time to respond and shouts that breakfast is ready. The pack files in and Micky takes her plate and sits next to Lucifer.

"We'll be fine," comes Lucifer's reassuring voice lowly.

"And what if we aren't?" No answer comes so Micky continues to choke down her food. Her eyes scan the room, every sound other than talking causing a mini panic. She doesn't know why she feels so off; it must be the room full of empty threats.

After breakfast, Lucifer goes off to hunt like normal and Anaya follows along with Sheldon. Micky's eyes trace over to her bow and arrows, a splatter of blood on it causing her to blink and gasp. After Micky blinks the blood is gone, but all she can think about is the lives she's taken thus far. Micky gets up and starts washing the dishes in an attempt to calm herself.

"Will this make you feel more at ease?" Micky turns the water off and swivels around, her eyes widening at the sight. She lets out a small squeak and looks to Lucifer for guidance.

"They're stubborn; I haven't even gotten any names out of them. A few threats and scratches made them comply with my demands. I don't think they would've come otherwise."

"Then send them back into the wild to live their lives! They will leave anyways." Micky waves her hand as a signal for the people to leave. Lucifer moves in front of the doorway.

"You said we don't have enough fighters so I bring you some and you reject my offerings?" Micky catches the eyes of a girl that could only be 15 years old at most. The guard in the girl's eyes loosens and Micky spots freckles of fear flopping around. Lucifer, however, narrows his eyes and crosses his arms, staring directly at Micky as anger tears holes in his sides. "So ungrateful."

Micky reaches her arms and walks forward slowly so she doesn't frighten anyone. A man, who Micky assumes to be the girl's father, steps closer and he bares his teeth. "I'm not here to force or threaten you like some others." Micky stops to tilt her head at Lucifer in distaste. "Your daughter is scared."

"Sister," the man corrects. "Do not mistake me for that rotten bastard."

"Who?"

"No names will be included, nor will any of us be in your pack." His large hands twitch, and one of his hands grabs his sister's waist. Lucifer watches from the doorway and his upper lip moves in disgust. He hates them. They are filthy rogues-ones like he used to be.

"Okay," Micky responds with caution. She has no idea what to say, but Micky soon makes up her mind. "Then Lucifer will move and you can leave." Micky raises her eyebrows as Lucifer stands still. "I said that you will move; are you going deaf Lucy?" Lucifer growls then takes a deep breath.

"I'm a werewolf-if anyone is going deaf anytime soon it's you. And we need more members as you mentioned earlier, so they will stay where they are."

"We need loyal, willing pack members. Now don't make me tell you to move again." Lucifer doesn't move. "Follow me," Micky mutters towards the group. She opens the kitchen window and the first person proceeds to crawl out, only for Lucifer to pull him back in.

"They will be staying."

"Do you want shelter, food, and a family?" Micky's question hits the group hard and everyone looks at their leader, the brother of the young girl.

"Yes, but not in your pack. We were threatened after refusing to reel in our wolves-how do you think that made us feel?" He shoves his hands into his pockets. "Besides, we can get along on our own just fine. We could be free of demands and threats and boundaries. That sounds much better than being cooped up in a certain piece of land."

"There you go, Lucifer. Will you give up now?" Still Lucifer refuses. "Then you should go round up a blanket before I lock you out of our room-the couch isn't as warm as I am." With that, Micky walks over to the group and gives an apologetic glance. A sliver of fear shoots through her and she regrets her decision of making Lucifer sleep on the couch.

"We have a few spare bedrooms. Pair up." Micky thinks of a plan to help the group escape while waking them upstairs. "I am sorry; I was forced to stay here at first as well. I can help you escape if you would like." The brother glances at Micky.

"We will stay two days and then my decision shall be made. I don't speak for anyone else here." However, everyone lets out a nod of agreement. Micky swallows the lump in her throat while pushing open the door to the first bedroom.

"Then be my guests."

How am I already on chapter 16? Wow! I'm not completely happy with this chapter for some reason-it just feels a little off to me. Comment your thoughts though!

Have a fabulous week and keep smiling! Love Sierra :)