Persistence Pays Off

Sven's POV

"May we tell you that we still wish to join her team now?" Luke asked, smirking.

"She is attracted to both of you," I growl as I pull into the Rest Area for a bathroom break and a change of drivers. "I don't want her hurt."

"Sven," Victor said hesitantly. "The attraction isn't one sided, at least, not for me. I don't mean to brag, but I could have dated plenty of girls already, but I chose not to. They weren't interested in me, they wanted my fame and money. Raschel is different. She doesn't care about either one. She is special, one of a kind. I enjoy making her laugh just to hear her giggle. To see her entire face light up with excitement when she is showing us something she enjoys. I want a chance to court her. I'm in no hurry for intimacy, starting out as friends suit me just fine. If more is meant for us than it will happen, no marathon to reach the finish line needed."

"I agree with Vic." Luke joined in. "Yes, she has her issues that need to come first and will bring a little extra work. But she is worth it. She has a sweet and caring nature that is rare. She has a way of making someone feel important just by talking to them. I get that we are kids, that most things our age isn't permanent. No one can predict the future, but sometimes friends become more."

"You both want to date her at the same time?" I don't think I heard this right.

"Maybe in the future," Luke shrugged. "We are content to be friends and teammates for now. The three of us have been having a lot of fun together, I see no reason to ruin a good thing."

I decide to go with the subject that I have the most knowledge to be able to discuss at the moment. The other would have to wait until I could seek out some advice from more experienced people. Like my dad, James and maybe even Colt. "You do realize that you will have to finish training and that it will be different then what you are accustomed to?"

"Nothing can be worse than doing hours or being grounded." Luke snorted.

"Hours?"

"Yeah, you know when someone does something wrong and the team has to do calisthenics for the number of hours assigned."

"We aren't the army." I am puzzled. "Nor would we punish an entire team for one member's mistake."

"What do you use as punishment?" Luke looked confused, as did Victor.

"Luke, it is not your team's place to punish you. As your legal Guardian, that is your uncle's duty. Your team isn't meant to replace your blood family, they are meant to complement it. Yes, some of our members have been abused by family members, but not all of their family is bad. It is also true that some of our members have been removed from the families completely for their own safety. All members of the team are equal and we all make mistakes.  Yes, there is a team lead.  Their duty is to match members, accept or reject missions, act as Liaison with the Academy and make sure everything is all right with each member. If a member makes a mistake, his teammates help him or her fix it. If it becomes a habit, the team may switch member to a new position or remove them from the team if they continue to blow off their duties."

"Have you ever had your duties switched?" Victor asked quietly.

"I was team lead until Raschel was located and restored to me. I knew I wouldn't be able to give them the attention they deserved and still be there for her. I discussed it with them and we decided that I would help when I can. For the most, I act as a Consultant. They and my family are what kept me going while she was missing. They were at my side through all of her surgeries, greeting her with me when her eyes opened after each one. They are her family just as much as they are mine." I gave a wry laugh. "Hell, Colt is her Godfather and Foxy is her Godmother. She gets upset with me and runs crying to them. I had better have a damn good reason for making her cry or I'll be the one crying next. They help me mend the fences and usually talk us into going to some place they swear she will enjoy."

"Will we meet them?"

 "Yes, they will handle part of your training."

 "Are we good? Can we be on her team now?" Luke pressed. The flame in Victor's eyes daring me to refuse.

 "Fine." I gave in. "You can both prove how trustworthy you are while we are in New York. Our apartment only has two bedrooms. You will be bunking in Chel's room."

I know it looks like I am trying to crush certain members of the Blackbourne team and in a way, I am. One person's strengths are another's weaknesses. As we grow up, we have personal issues we are dealing with and constantly searching for ways to resolve them. We learn to socialize, we learn to bend and we learn to compromise. One of the most important things we learn is that the world doesn't revolve around us. Yes, they are breaking, but not forever. Each must grow in their own way, on their own terms. That includes Owen and Sean. Yes, Owen is looking bad right now and may end up looking worse, but it doesn't mean he is a bad guy. He is just misguided. He has his own issues to tend to, issues that he has ignored by devoting himself to his team. He has made mistakes and mistakes can be fixed, but he has to be willing to try to fix them. So help me to get him to stop being so stubborn and blind to his own faults. A family that doesn't grow with it's members crumbles.

    conte-P