Panel of Investigation

Dr. Sean Green was nervous, today could end his medical career for eternity. He had been a fool, playing the part of a Jester to hide his insecurities. His brothers had been right; he and Owen had not been fair to them. He should have been honest with them and asked for their help, treated them as the brothers he claimed they were. They had all made mistakes, but he and Owen had made the most. Being the eldest two, they felt it was their right to lead. They had been wrong; they were the last ones who should be in charge. They joined an existing team and took over it when it had been running just fine. Victor was a member of high society; he had been born to lead and would never have overlooked their take over. They replace him with Kota, who practically worships Owen. They used Victor's insecurities against him and made him feel that he only had a place on the team because of his money. It was because of Victor that Owen felt the need to dress in expensive suits and act the proper gentleman, he couldn't accept that people took a kid more seriously than they did him. Victor's social position and musical gift, which made him someone people could admire and respect. He was always well mannered and brilliant in many ways; Owen had wanted that for himself. To gain it, Owen used Victor and the rest of the team, failing to understand that is was meaningless when a person didn't work hard to earn it for themselves. Maybe that is why, Sean thought, he acted the idiot most of the time; he took a short cut and left his brothers to do his work for him. As he thought about it, the jobs he was supposed to do weren't just about paying back for his schooling, they were a sign to the Academy that he wanted it bad enough to work hard to earn it.

Sean dressed in a dark gray suit and black dress shoes; he wore his lucky purple socks and a pale lilac colored shirt with a deep purple tie. He combed his hair back, using gel to keep the curls from his eyes, determined to look professional. Huh, maybe he should have let Gabe give him a trim, a shorter style. Owen had planned to go with him but Sean asked him not to, this was something Sean needed to face on his own. Oh, he knew Owen would be there to give him moral support; he would never let Sean face this alone, just as the boys would be there. Sean wanted time to collect himself and prepare for when he faced the panel. This was serious and he needed to face up to his mistakes by himself, no more letting others fix things for him and save his ungrateful ass. His mother used to tell him that actions spoke louder than words; he now saw that what she had said was true. His actions would confuse anyone, including himself.

The Hearing

"Dr. Sean Green," Sean was the next one called before the panel.

The members spent time looking through his file, taking the time to read everything as he stood silently before them. Several made notes as they read and then the questions began, Sean answered them truthfully and to the best of his ability. Refusing to hide anything no matter how bad it may make him look. The worst part was when they deliberated in front of him as if he wasn't there but Sean knew it was part of his punishment.

"The behavior unbefitting for a doctor is unwarranted," Dr. Thomas Stone announced once they reached a decision. "There is nothing wrong with flirting with a patient if it helps to calm them; it is simply a matter of choosing more carefully on who you use the method on. Unfortunately, hospitals are rife with jealousy and spite much like any other type of workplace. Flirting with fellow staff members falls into the same category, while harmless and it isn't against the rules. Just know that there is always going to be jealous people, more so because of your age and looks. The rest of the complaints are disturbing for many reasons. The fact that your team members did the jobs you were given to repay for your training that is not acceptable. Unlike most of our members, you came in with no family vouching for you or true need of the Academy's help. While adopted, you had parents who were quite willing to pay for your schooling. Preventing someone else from receiving the scholarship they needed, and then you do not treat it responsibly as you should have. Looking at your file, it leads us to believe that you aren't as mature as you should be. While our white coats may tell people we are doctors and have received training to help them, the coat is not a badge to wear outside of the hospital or office. We never carry a filled needle in our pocket and we never give a stranger a shot of whatever drug we have on hand. The incident in questions tells us that you seem more impressed with wearing the white coat then you are in taking your duties seriously. We have to ask you Sean Green, do you truly want to be a doctor or are you more interested in the glamor you think such a position will give you?"

"I know I have made mistakes, but I do want to be a doctor. I will do whatever it takes to correct them." Sean vowed his tone filled with sincerity.

"We, the panel, have decided that you will return to the position of an Intern. While you show great promise, you do not yet have the self-control or dedication as most of those who has advanced to where you are now. The incident with the girl would never have happened if you had obeyed the Lead Team's directions and stayed away from the school. The title of doctor does not give you permission to choose which rules to follow no matter whom the one is giving them to you. The fact that the girl in question is the youngest member of the High Council and that she was helping to prepare a mission site for your team makes what you did worse. You have been in medicine long enough to know some people are allergic to certain drugs and have fears of people in white coats. You had never seen this girl before, nor read her medical records. You were the one who supposedly spent years training in Medicine, not the fifteen-year-old boy assisting you in setting up your classroom. For this action on your part, you will retake several of your classes to remind you what you have obviously forgotten. While you are taking the classes, you will work at the hospital on weekends until they are completed. As for your brothers who completed the missions in your place that you were to do in exchange for your training, you will pay them one favor each for every job they did in your place. You will complete another set of missions under the supervision of a member of the Toma Team. The favors you gained from their work has already been deducted from your account and you returned to debt status. For the rest of your training, you will be working under Dr. Martinez, one more misstep from you and you can kiss your future in Medicine goodbye. Report to Dr. Martinez's office first thing in the morning, her secretary will give you your new schedule. Mr. Wieland will contact you with the list of jobs you will be doing, you are dismissed."

Owen's POV

Sean was devastated; you could see the tears glistening in his eyes and the blank look on his face as he left the auditorium. I wanted to follow him but we weren't allowed to leave without the Panel dismissing us. I wanted to chase after him, to take him in my arms and tell him that everything was going to be all right. He would be upset with me if I tried, he wanted the truth and to face up to his mistakes, not having me fix them for him. He was right to demand this of me; he was a grown man and needed to solve his own problems. I didn't care what he thought, he was brilliant and has come a long way. Give him time; he would be surpassing the ground he lost in this debacle. I was to blame; I wasn't watching over him and ensuring he wasn't overworking himself. I'm the one who told the boys to do the jobs in his place. He had been falling asleep over his books at his desk; I wanted him to get enough sleep each night, not stretch himself further.