Chapter 18

Every move I made was twice as painful as the previous one. The silver in the bars were irritating my senses and the sunlight was burning my skin. The only place I could feel slight relief was next to the gate that was preventing me from my freedom. I heard slight mumbling coming from the other side of the gate. By the sound of the voices, I could tell that it was Yukai and the Dark Ruler and they were headed my way.

"So, as far as I learned from him, his weaknesses are: wooden stakes, silver bullets, rare metals and extremely hot temperatures. Those are lethal weapons that you can use against him. I already gave you all of the information that I know. I kept my part of the bargain, will you?" Yukai asked.

The Dark Ruler smiled at him. He looked at me as he thought of the multiple ways that he could destroy me. Before thinking it twice, he turned towards Yukai, gave him a pat on the back and laughed slightly before he could speak.

"Of course I will my dear Yukai." He said with a devilish smile.

Yukai gleamed and took a few steps forward as the Dark Ruler stayed behind. I was busy trying to listen to what was going on but the place was too quiet. The wall on my right side collapsed and revealed another room that looked exactly like the one I was trapped in.

"You forgot one crucial detail my dear Yukai. You should have been careful with the people you trust. You were way too trusting and that is your greatest defect." The Dark Ruler said after he pushed Yukai into the cage next to mine and locked the gate.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the scene that was unfolding in front of my eyes. Yukai was desperately trying to reach out of the gate but the silver had a spell to avoid any kind of creature escape.

"You shouldn't have trusted him." I said as I stared coldly at him.

"I didn't know he would do this in the end." He argued.

I noticed his sudden change in action, like if he had felt this before. The feeling of betrayal is painful and heart wrenching, but when it happens to the one who caused it, it feels like a sweet and savory treat.

"Why didn't you try to break free? You're limited to use only four sides of your full potential. Why don't you break out of here?" Yukai asked.

I hesitated to answer but something kept insisting that I should. I looked up at the ceiling and took a deep breath.

"I don't know why I haven't left this place yet. I just have a feeling that someone will find a way to bust me out." I answered coldly.

I stood up and walked to the center of the room. I looked at the sun rays that were beaming in the room and slowly counted to ten. Once I reached the final number, I felt an explosion at the end of the hallway.

"Oops." I said jokingly. "They're here."

"Who?" Yukai asked as I turned my head towards him in a diabolical manner.

"My guardians. And they're not happy with the current state that I find myself in." I said with a voice that scared Yukai a bit.

"Whatever. They're only  here for you. You're lucky enough to have loyal friends like those. The type of friends who like stabbing you in the back." Yukai said with his voice cracking.

"By the sound of that explosion, I might say that it was just some rubble that they tossed. I think I might be here for a while longer." I sighed and sat down.

"I don't think I was completely truthful with you." Yukai said with a guilty shock in his eyes.

"What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"Well... You see... I never really knew my parents. I was raised by a family that knew my parents before they died when I was just a couple of months old. My mother died in an accident and my father died at their friend's doorstep after he carried me to their house. After that, my life was a living hell. I was always cast out at school and the little friends that I had were not really my friends. They would betray me and stab me in my back whenever I wasn't looking." Yukai said with tears falling from his eyes.

"I don't see how that is your excuse for doing the same to me." I scoffed.

"A couple of years ago, I think they were about two or three years, I had this crazy dream where I would run around in this world and find all kinds of creatures. Then, one night, I was stopped by a dark shadow and he told me that if I wanted my friends to treat me right, I would have to bring him something in return. I refused to do what he had commanded me to do and the results were unexpected. I got home to see the figure standing in the living room between me and my adoptive family. With a flick of his wrist, a shadow had taken them from the living room and he grabbed me by the neck. I tried to gasp for air but his grip was too strong. That's when he repeated his command and I collapsed on the floor." Yukai said calmly.

"Did you tell anyone?" I asked.

"No. I just bargained for the release of my family if I were to bring him what he asked for." He answered.

"I'm guessing that the thing is me?" I stared blankly.

"Just like everyone else that I trusted, I got betrayed and it all came to haunt me." Yukai sighed.

"That's not true. You trusted me and I didn't betray you. Instead you were the one who betrayed me." I argued.

"Why would you still trust me after this? I treated you horribly wrong a bunch of times yet you still want me around. Why?" Yukai asked and at that moment, I knew that I had to come clean and tell him everything.