.:Driving Myself Insane:. Chapter Four

Yup, I was insane. But, I guess it was too late to back out now. I was already standing outside with Colby, crossing my arms. I kept my distance from him, though. I wasn't crazy enough to trust him. For all I knew, he could be trying to blow me up. You never knew with this guy.

Colby took a deep breath. Was it just me or did he seem. . .nervous? That would make no sense. Colby Tozier never got nervous, especially with girls. No, they threw themselves on him more than they did with Riley. Apparentally, they found something hot about his care free, reckless (very annoying) attitude hot. Maybe if he hadn't spent all his time annoying the living hell out of me, I might have also found him attactive. But no, he chose how things would be.

Still, why would he even be nervous? It was me he was about to talk to. Me. The one he enjoyed torturing. Whenever he pulled pranks on me, he didn't look nervous at all. So why now?

Finally, I decided the silence was killing me. "Aw. Are you coming out of the closet?"

This seemed to ease him a bit, which creeped me out, "You wish. I'm as straight as -"

"A rainbow?" I asked, trying not to laugh. Oh, how fun it was to be the one annoying Colby for a change. Well, he deserved it.

"A stick." He said, crossing his arms.

"Ooh. A curvy stick, right?" I grinned at him. 

"Katherine! Jeez. I'm straight. I'm just not sure how to tell you this without having you slap me." 

My grin faded. This was probably what Alina had realized. I decided to shut up, since I wanted to know what was the big deal. I mean, if even Colby was nervous about this, it must have been serious.

I sighed, "Just come out with it, then, Tozier."

He nodded slowly, swallowing. He began pacing back and forth, looking at the ground. I tilted my head to the side a bit. Man, this was probably bad. Now he was starting to make me nervous. Oh God. . .What if my parents died?! Wait, no. Colby wouldn't be the one to tell me that. He'd be the one to laugh at me. Or, maybe not. Maybe he would be able to show some actual human feelings and be sorry for me.

So what else was there?

Oh God. Was I failing a class!? How would Colby know, though? Argh. Why couldn't he talk already? I looked back over at him, noting he was still pacing. I'm pretty sure he was scowling, too. He seemed to be calming himself down or something. I'm not sure. 

I glanced back at the red house. No one was watching, which meant that this might not be a prank. So, he was nervous and no one was watching. Two good signs, right? I wiped my slightly sweaty palms on my jeans, clearing my throat. 

He stopped pacing and grinned at me. "Is someone getting impatient?"

"Psh, no. As if." I rolled my eyes. Wrong answer. He started pacing again. 

I opened my mouth to say something, "You know, at this rate, you won't only pass my eighteenth birthday, but my one-hundredth." I said sarcastically. 

He took yet another deep breath and turned toward me, "I know you hate me."

I rose my eyebrows, "Oh, you do? Then why don't you leave me the hell alone." So he was able to see the hints. He just couldn't take them. 

Colby licked his lips nervously, "I've tried."

He's tried?! And what, he missed torturing the frick out of me? God, he was becoming more annoying by the second.

"But you just couldn't help yourself. It's just too fun to ruin my life, right?" I asked bitterly, scowling. 

For some reason, this seemed to affect him. He cringed slightly. "I - I'm sorry about that."

I laughed humorlessly, "Sorry? Well, I'm sorry to tell you this, but sorry doesn't cut it. It won't take away those years of torment. Besides, if you were sorry, you wouldn't have dumped a milkshake on me this very day." 

Colby wouldn't meet my eyes, "You don't understand. It's just that-"

"That you hate me. I get it. And that's good. Looks like we feel the same. Did you hear that? I hate you, Tozier. Loathe you, even. And if you don't stop annoying me, I now have a crossbow that I'll use on you."

He stared at me, "I don't hate you." His voice seemed quiter. Softer.

"Sure you do. You pull pranks on me daily. You've even read my diary in front of the whole school! You have to hate me. It's obvious."

Colby only repeated. "I don't hate you." 

"You know what? I don't care. Lie all you want. I know you hate me, but I don't care. I hate you more." I was going to walk back inside, but Colby reached over and grabbed my hand, pulling me to him. Then he surprised me - by kissing me.

The weirdest part?

I was kissing him back.