.:Driving Myself Insane:. Chapter Twenty Nine

Stupid prom. Why did it even have to exist? Well, the question really should have been, why did I have a bunch of friends and family that insisted I go? If I'd been friends with only guys, then I wouldn't have to go to some stupid dance at school. Probably. Since I was officially single, and getting over Riley more and more everyday - even though sometimes I missed him, for unknown reasons - I just decided to go with Courtney and Tina, who didn't have any real dates either. It was better going than friends than admitting you have no date at all, I guess. Of course, I could have easily gotten one, because Colby or Jackson would have been willing, but I'd just dumped Riley last week. Plus, since I cheated on his twice with two different guys less than 12 hours apart, I didn't want to be any more slutty than I already considered myself to be.

Anyway, after I forced myself into the blue dress that Courtney, Alina, and Tina had bought me before that night we snuck into Colby's tree to watch him like a bunch of stalkers, which was also the night he admitted he loved me, I went downstairs, where Alina and Tina were already waiting.

"You look beautiful," my dad told me. "Thank God you don't have a date. You'd probably have to remember our talk."

Tina, who'd recovered slightly from her break up over the past week, grinned at me, "Ha. Dad gave you the talk?"

I plopped down on the couch, having to be more careful than I'd have to be if I were wearing jeans, and groaned. "Sadly." When Alina stuck her tongue out at me, I swatted her arm lightly. We all heard a weird shutter camera noise coming from somewhere, but when we looked at Dad, his hands were empty. Four or five months ago, I would have thought that Colby was taking pictures from the window like some creep, but now I knew he wouldn't do that. Hopefully.

"Mom?" Tina asked. To make sure she hadn't gone crazy, I followed her confused stare and, yup, my mommy was there, a camera in her hand and a smile on her face.

Seeing my parents in the same room was weird. They hadn't been near each other in months, possibly years. Justin wasn't there either, which made me almost think of back when they were together, before my life became extremely confusing. Their divorce wasn't the result of my confusion, of course. That, I have to blame Colby for.

Mom nodded. "Uh-huh. Got your prom picture, but I won't make you pose. Candid - or, unposed, whatever - shots are better. Especially since, when your children see this in the future, they'll know that you were once a weirdo." Once? I'm pretty sure my abnormality wasn't ever going to go away, but I didn't tell her that. She smirked, "What? You thought I'd miss your last prom? Er, well, not Tina's." Of course. Tina wouldn't have even been going if not for us, since she was two grades lower than Alina and I, but we'd told her that it wouldn't be fun without her. Which, sadly, was probably a little true. 

I smirked at Tina, "Muahaha, Alina and I are superior seniors. Bow down to us, sophomore."

Tina rose her eyebrow. "I'd rather not."

Mom narrowed her eyes a little, probably wondering where she went wrong, but just asked. "When are you planning on leaving?" 

Alina stretched a little, before remembering that she had to try being a little careful in that dress. "Blake needs to pick me up." Then, she went into girly mode or something, because she squeaked. "I'm going to prom with Blake Tozier. Who knew my dreams would ever come true?" She paused then asked, "Isn't it weird I'm dating your boyfriend's brother?"