.:Driving Myself Insane:. Chapter Nineteen

Surprisingly, Riley allowed me to go with Colby to eat. Now, you'd expect Colby, who had a rich family, to take me somewhere expensive. But no. Instead, he took me to McDonalds. Trust me, I wasn't complaining. I loved their Spicy McChicken sandwiches. Heck, I just loved McDonalds. But, it was pretty strange.

Of course, we were in dry clothes, because I doubt the McDonalds employees would be happy about a bunch of soaking wet teenagers coating their floors with water.

Colby was devouring a cheeseburger when I finally asked. "Why'd you take me here?"

"Because, McDonalds is awesome." He answered, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. 

"I mean-Why'd you want to go somewhere with me?" I asked more specifically. I watched him as he thought it over, as if it were the hardest question on the planet. Seriously. It didn't require much thought. Heck, I would've taken a simple shrug. Eh, probably not. But still.

After what seemed like forever, he answered. "I don't know."

I stared at him. It took him that long to think of those three simple words? I was tempted to slap my forehead, but a smirk formed on his face. 

"Kidding. I don't know. I can't ask you to go out with me or what?"

It was silent until Colby realized what he had just said. 

Quickly, he corrected himself. "Not as a date. I mean, you've got your oh-so-perfect boyfriend. Wouldn't want to ruin your happiness." He grumbled, looking down at his fries. Again, I had to urge to slap my forehead.

"Hey, retard?" I stared at him.

He looked up, his blue eyes meeting mine. "Huh?"

I snickered. "Ha. You answered to retard." I cleared my throat, "Yeah, anyway, you know I don't really want to date Riley. I'm doing this for the safety of others."

He leaned forward. "But we've been warned, sort of. You don't have to. Whenever he comes around, any one of us would be on our guard, you know? Or, maybe, we don't go alone. Like, with swimming. Swim with a buddy, or something. I don't know."

"What if he has friends? Like, some mental people who find Riley to be friendly for some unknown reason? Or if he has a gun? We can't do some matrix crap and slow time down to dodge the bullet. Wait. That happened in the Matrix, right? I've never actually seen it."

Colby shook his head. "Doesn't matter. If you just let me beat him up-"

"Look. I don't want anyone, even him, to get hurt here." I admitted.

He stared at me for what seemed like hours. "What? You don't even care about him!"

Well, I thought. He was actually a little decent when we were spying on you last night. Plus, he wasn't that annoying at the car wash.