,:Driving Myself Insane:. Chapter Twenty Four

"Riley, I - I, um, think we should break up." I said, swallowing. Then I frowned. "No. Too over-used." I looked down at the sink, thinking.

My dad hadn't really been that mad when I came home. He'd understanded that I was heartbroken. I guess he had tons of experience with heartbreak. Speaking of my dad . . .

"Katherine, I want to talk to you about something." 

I looked up, turning to my dad, who was standing in the doorway. He had this strange look on his face. He was fidgeting with his shirt, wrinkling it, then straightening it.

Deciding to break the uncomfortable moment, I gasped. "Please don't tell me you're coming out of the closet!" I facepalmed myself. "Oh God. I should have seen this coming. You haven't had a girlfriend in so long. It's okay, Dad. You're just confused. We'll get through this. I know we-"

Dad smiled slightly, rolling his eyes. "I'm straight, Kath." He looked around the bathroom. "Can we talk about this in the kitchen? I feel - um, weird talking to you about this in the bathroom."

I was totally confused. Oh my God. Maybe he and Mom were getting back together! Wait. Why would that make him feel strange about telling me that in there? Eh, maybe because normal people don't talk to each other in the bathroom. I needed a break from practicing my break up, so I followed him to the kitchen table.

He sat down across from me, clearing his throat. "Um, look. I couldn't help but notice that you're definitely in your boy phase - What am I saying? It's not a phase. You're in love. I think. And, when you're in love, you do, um, things that you need to be careful about."

My eyes widened. "You're not giving me that talk. No. Nope. Nuh-huh. Courtney can talk to me about that crap."

"Courtney's a teenage girl, too. She has just as much hormones as you. And, um, many people consider the boys that you've been hanging out with attractive-"

Trying to change the subject, I smirked. "Including you? I knew you were coming out of the closet!"

"Katherine, I'm just as uncomfortable about this speech as you are. You just have to sit and listen. I'm the one who has to talk."

Giving up, I slumped down in my chair. "Fine." I grumbled. My face must've been flaming. I so didn't want my dad to talk to me about my, um, making love life? Did that even make sense? I have no idea. 

Dad leaned forward, messing around with a napkin on the table. "Okay, so, sometimes, you'll get this little voice in your head that tells you to do some, er, adult things."

Hehe, I'm being spoken about.

Yep. There it was, that annoying voice. Right on cue. Bluntly, I shrugged. "I don't listen to it."

"So, you do get that voice? Er, that's, um, yeah, I don't know." He looked like he was gonna die of discomfort. But, I understood that he felt that he had to do this.