Ch 10: Broken

Ezra's heart was slowly crumbling into pieces on his apartment's tiny floor. Day in and day out, he thought of her. He thought of her eyes staring in to his with pleading emotion. He thought of her short hair, shining in the blinding sunlight. He thought of her short height, leaning up to kiss him. He thought about  the last time that they had said goodbye. Based on the phone call that he had gotten just over two weeks ago, though, she was thinking about him, too. He couldn't go after her, nonetheless. He wanted her to be able to go to college without any baggage from high school. So did Ella. So did Byron. It was a sacrifice that he would make for Aria. No matter how much he was dying to be with her, he couldn't be, and that was a risk that Ezra thought was worth taking.

It was pushing the second week of August, and Ezra hadn't seen Aria since the end of June, on that fateful day at the beach. She would be leaving for college, any day now, and Ezra couldn't decide whether or not to say goodbye. It would create closure between the two of them, but it would make leaving each other behind so much more difficult. The loved each other. The still loved each other. The were soulmates, and even when they weren't together, they were soulmates. Yet, here Ezra was, sitting on the small couch at his apartment, going over the words that Aria had said in the message.

Ezra could still hear Aria's voice wavering as she spoke, and he could still hear all of the words that she had bravely said. The fact that she still loved him brought him comfort. What didn't bring him comfort, though, was that he never knew what those last few words would be.

It all ending with a beep.

Ezra Fitz would never knew what she was about to say, and he wish he did. Maybe she suggested they work things out, or maybe she just wanted to see if he was thinking about her. He hoped maybe it was both. After all, he didn't know exactly how long she was going to make that message. He had no idea.

As he got of of the couch to get a bag on plain potato chips, he ran a hand through his hair and sighed. His life was pathetic without Aria; it was nothing.

There relationship was so secret for almost two years that he never made a friend in Rosewood. Ezra spent all of his spare time with Aria because he loved her and was always afraid that would be their last time together. The two of them could have gotten caught and she would never seen him again. It was worth it, for Ezra, but now it was lonely.

The plain potato ships tasted week on his tongue, and he was oddly yet constantly annoyed with them. The irritability was clearly getting the best of him. Maybe he was going through a state of intense withdrawals. An intense state of withdrawals as a result of not being able to love anybody.

Ezra felt as though he should just leave her alone; save her the misery of being with someone who could be such a burden at times. She didn't do anything in junior and senior year, and it was all because of him.

The thoughts running through his head were wild animals leaping in a safari through Africa. He spent most of the time sitting on the ragged old couch, wondering. He wondered everything.

As Ezra out the salty bag of plain chips away, he lingered his head to the same stupid couch and walked there. In his ranging thoughts before him, he sat down and, once again, sighed.

Only going to The Brew occasionally to make sure it was doing okay, Ezra's apartment was where most time was spent. Just a few months ago, she was there, cuddled up with him. They'd lay there, together, and be a unit. They were like one person split into two, destined to be together forever. He hoped they still were.

His phone began ringing. He looked at his number, stunned: Byron Montgomery. Was he going to say that he was on his way over to kill him? There was a chance. Ezra took a deep breath before sliding his finger across the glass surface of the phone.

"Hello," Ezra said, beginning the phone call that could end his life.

"She's breaking, Ezra. She's broken," Byron responded with sorrow audible in his somewhat shaky voice.

"What can I do to help her?" Ezra mindlessly asked. It was automatic to help Aria overcome everything.

Ezra's heart broke when he heard the sound of quiet sobs on the other line. No, it shattered. To know that he was causing her so much pain made him feel like such an awful person, even if it was in her best interest.

"You have to come see her. I know that you're still hurting, as well, and it would give you both the closure that you need."

Ezra never thought that he would hear Byron say those words. He always thought that if Aria continued to see him, Byron would not attend a wedding. Byron would not attend a party. He always thought that Byron would not be willing to foresee their relationship, but in this moment, he was.

"Byron, it kills me to know that she is hurting, but won't seeing each other make saying good bye so much harder?" Ezra calmly questioned.

"Aria loves you, and you love her. Together or not, it is going to be difficult to say good bye to one an other. I do not like seeing my daughter like this, and as much as I dislike saying this, I think that you are the only person who can make her smile."

Ezra sighed and thought. He didn't want to look Aria in the eye, after all that he had put her through. He didn't want to see the pain in her eyes, when he could practically hear it every single time he woke up in the middle of the night.

"I'll come to your house the day that she leaves for college. I know that out of her friends, she is the last one leaving. Is that fine with you?" Ezra commented, regretting it immediately.

"That's fine Ezra. As long as you see her before she leaves, I don't care when you come. I'll be there, Ella will be there, and Mike will be there."

"I hopefully will see you then," Ezra replied before hanging up the phone.

What had he done? Was he asking to have his heart broken again? Probably. Was it worth it to fulfill Aria's wishes? Most definitely.

Ezra had to go, and he forgot about his own feelings at all costs. He, for once, turned on the TV. No murders in Rosewood, no -A in Rosewood, no monsters in Rosewood. So why did he feel like such a piece of crap.

It was mid-August, and Ezra Fitz had to weeks to figure out how to say goodbye.

A/N: I'm so sorry that this is so short. It definitely isn't my best, but it's been a while since I have posted. Next chapter, Aria is going to college, and will maybe get a surprise visitor. Feel free to message me any ideas about what you would like to happen now and later in the story. This story is going to span over a few years, so feel free to give me cool future Ezria ideas! Thank you all for reading!
Twitter: @/alsoezria
Tumblr: b26ezria