The Third Year of College

Aria's small hands shook, as one small thing was deciding the future ahead. There were tears glued onto her face, only being taken off by the new ones that were seemingly flooding the claustrophobic room that she was standing in. This couldn't be happening. Not now.

It was October of junior year, and Aria was 20. Day by day, college life was becoming easier and more manageable. She and Ezra had been able to find a compromise on almost everything, and living together, for both of them, was the best place to live. It didn't matter where they were, as long as they were with each other.

But, yet, here Aria was, crying her eyes out, thinking her life could possibly be over. Ezra, still at work, would be home any minute. Aria tried to get herself looking presentable, but it was absolutely no use; she was a mess, and no matter how hard she tried, Ezra would think exactly that as soon as he saw her red, puffy face.

She paced around and  breathed heavily, feeling a panic attach coming on but trying to prevent it. Deep breaths, Aria thought, deep breaths. She heard keys ruffling into the door, the door knob turn, and the door open.

"Aria," she heard her boyfriend say, curious as to where exactly she was. "Where are you?

"I'll be there in a minute," Aria called out to reply to him, her voice sounding shaky and chocked up.

"Are you okay," Ezra asked, thinking that Aria didn't sound the same as usual. "Aria?"

He heard a sob break through the apartment, coming from the bathroom. Ezra's whole heard snapped into two separate pieces at the sound of that. Clearly, Aria wasn't exactly okay. He cautiously walked to the bathroom, and knocked on the locked door. "Aria," he began, "What's going on?"

"Nothing."

Ezra didn't know what was going on, but he was now scared out of his mind. What she hurting herself?

"Aria, let me in," he demanded rapidly becoming more and more nervous about this. What on earth was she doing, and why couldn't he come in?

"I'll be right out," Aria said, her voice going from shaky to shakier.

"No, Aria, let me in now. I'm getting scared." Ezra was sweating. He was angry. He was fuming.

What he saw when he opened the door changed the anger into pure shock. He looked at Aria, her face crinkling up into a full on crying manner. He looked pack down at the object and took a deep breath.

An unused pregnancy test.

"Aria," he said, "what's going on?"

At this moment Aria broke down into undeniable tears. Ezra walked over to her, and he wrapped his arms arms around her. He rested his chin on top her her head, and took another deep breath. Aria's cries grew more devastating and desperate as each moment went on. He was devastated just having to see someone who he loved so much cry so vulnerably like this. He didn't know if she had even taken the fateful test yet, but he needed to hug her.

As her weeping died down, Ezra lead Aria to their bedroom, and they sat down together on the bed still slightly crying, Aria looked him in the eye, but refused to speak. Ezra needed to talk, though.

"Have you taken it yet?" He asked, walking on eggshells, as though Aria would crack at any minute.

Aria nodded her head and took a deep breath.

"Have you gotten the results?"

Aria shoot her head and began to get more and more nervous in the situation.

"I think I might be-" she didn't want to say the word. "I'm a few days late, and I did the math. It would make sense."

"It's going to be okay, no matter what the results are. We were planning for this, just in a few years," Ezra told her, trying to bring comfort to them both. "I'd still love you the same, and it would just be one more person to love."