Chapter 14: "That's what friends do."

"How is he doing?", I ask Christina.

Sophie was there in sweats, and a puffy face. She had obviously been crying nonstop. Christina looked terrible as well. His sister was there, too.

"The doctor hasn't come out yet, but I saw him, and he doesn't look like he's gonna make it.", She cried.

Charlie covered his mouth. I hugged him hard, and muttered to myself. I know who did this. And it's all my fault. It didn't matter.

I was next.

"I know who did this.", I whispered to Charlie.

"Who, Meghan?", he asked, quietly.

"It was C--", I started, but the doctor came out.

We all ran to him, but stopped when he shook his head.

"I'm so sorry...", The doctor said. "The patient lost a lot of blood. There was nothing we could do to save him."

I fell to the floor, and put my hands on my mouth. It was my fault. I should've stopped him. I should've told him what she was capable of.

My dearest Isaac was gone.

I burst into tears, and shouted. "No, no, no, no. You're lying!"

"Meghan, it's gonna be alright.", Charlie said beside me. He was hugging me, comforting me, but I was exhausted. His words barely soothed me.

"Charlie, I need to talk to you outside. Alone. It's urgent.", I said.

He nodded and helped me up. We went to the roof of the building, it was chilly, but I could barely feel anything.

"It was Claire. I knew he was with her before any of this happened. I thought she wouldn't hurt him. But I was wrong. It's my fault he's dead. I should've warned him!", I cried.

"Don't blame yourself, Meghan. You didn't know she was gonna do this.", he said. "You might've thought, but it wasn't at all super positive. He should've known who he was dealing with."

"She said I was next.", I said, flatly. "I'm gonna be bleeding to death on the floor of my own apartment, and she's gonna be laughing while I die."

"When did you speak to her? Why do you say this stuff, Meghan?", Charlie asked.

"Because she messaged me. She said everything. She told me what was gonna happen next. She threatened me.", I said.

"We need to report this to the authorities, Meghan.", Charlie said shaking his head. He grabbed my hand, and we ran downstairs. I can't do this...

"I need to think, Charlie. Can I have a small minute for myself?", I beg.

"Yes, I'll make the call. Don't get lost, and don't do anything crazy. I'll be back.", then he kissed my cheek, and ran to his car. He was gonna get the cops on his ex.

Poor Isaac...

"You tell Charlie how you feel! If I don't get a wedding invitation by sunrise, you're dead."

He told me that before he left 4 hours ago, and now he's dead because I didn't tell him about his psycho girlfriend.

If Charlie and I do get married, he won't be there. He won't be our best man. He won't see the day I release my album. He won't see the day we record Marvin Gaye or release it.

He's...gone.

I sit in a small bench on the 1st floor, and ignore everything. Charlie comes back after 15 minutes, and tells me the cops are searching for her.