the cafe

Carlisle Cullen approached the vintage diner slowly. As expected, he found Billy Black waiting at the table in the corner.

They met at this particular diner at this particular table, for two reasons. The first was that this was where these two always sat. The second, of course, was so that no one saw him and Carlisle meet.

Carlisle sat down after ordering coffee. It was miserably cold and rainy, and everyone drank coffee after being out in weather like this, so he did it to blend in.

As soon as he sat down, Billy Black asked, "Did you hear?"

"Yes." Carlisle said, taking a sip of his coffee. "I expect the boys to be here tomorrow at the latest."

"Ah," Billy said nodding. "Do you think Victoria has the real stone?" Billy asked.

"Dunno," Carlisle said casually. "If she does, let's hope it doesn't fall into the wrong hands. There's too much going on as it is – we don't need another catastrophe." He took another sip of his coffee.

"Are we still on for tonight?" Billy asked.

"Yes," Carlisle said. "Mustang, Hawkie and Chief Swan will be waiting for us in the woods. I hope Alice passes," he added.

"Even if she doesn't, it will be good to have a seer working for the state alchemist," Billy said. "I know Jacob will pass for sure - he has been training hard," Billy said with a smile. He was very proud of his son.

"If Alice and Jacob pass their alchemy exam we will have two more state alchemist in this area." he said with a smile.

Carlisle said with a dangrus laugh, "Those two, us, Chief Swan and Leah - that makes six if the homunculi ever decide to visit us."

Billy sighed. He knew just as well as Carlisle that they were doomed if the homunculi ever attacked. Of course, the odds of them attacking this town, given that Victoria had a fake stone, was rare.

"Speaking of Victoria, are you prepared for the vampire war?" he asked Carlisle.

"Somewhat," he answered. "However, Charlie said he wants Alice trained as an alchemist. He said that is more important right now."

"It's the same with Jacob," Billy said. "Darn," he said with a sigh, as he realized he had eaten his entire delicious muffin. After looking around quickly, he put both of his hands on his chair, and within an instant, another muffin just like the one he ate appearedd. "That's better, he said with a smile.

Carlisle laughed. "I don't think we can use alchemy like that," he said.

"As long as Chief Swan doesn't find out, its ok," he retorted. "He has too many other things to worry about besides a simple alchemy trick."

Just then, a tall, slender waitress came up to them. "Anything else, fellas?" Both men gasped, it was Lust. Before they could do anything she was gone.

"Damn," Billy said. "How much do you think she heard?"

"I don't know," Carlisle said looking out the window just in time to see Lust and Glutney get into a car and drive off. He then saw another very fancy car. "Mustang just got here - we better go," he said, laying down some cash as they rushed out.