talks

At the Swan's house, the alchemists and Hawkeye spent half of the night discussing.

"First off," Mustang said taking a sip of his coffee, "The first thing you need to know is who the homunculi are."

"Erm..." Carlisle said, "If I'm not needed, I need to get to my shift."

"Go ahead." Mustang nodded. Once he left, Mustang started again.

"Now the first thing you need to know about are the homunculi," he repeated.

"Who and what are they?" Jacob asked.

"Homunculi," Charlie said, "are fake human beings; they are created when someone tries to bring a person back to life through alchemy. As you both know, this is the one thing an alchemist must not do. There are terrible consequences if you do."

"I think I've read somewhere that people try it anyway, though," Alice said.

"That is correct, people do try it." Mustang said. "I'm sure you will meet the Elric brothers in a day or so. You can see what the consequences were for them."

Jacob and Alice both had strange expressions on their faces.

The four adults laughed. "It's not horrendous, but the older brother, Edward lost an arm and a leg because of it. His younger brother, Alphonse lost his entire body and his soul is bound to a suit of armor." Mustang explained.

"You have to be very powerful to be able to do that." Jacob whistled, impressed.

"Why would the homunculi come here?" Alice asked.

"Because, they think Victoria has the stone," Billy said.

Jacob and Alice looked at each other and asked together, "What stone?"

"The Philosopher's stone." Charlie said. When the new alchemists looked confused, Mustang elaborated. "The Philosopher's stone is a magical stone that can do almost anything -including creating objects from thin air, and supposedly, giving you eternal life. It can also make a part-human into a full human, and give a body to a soul only bound to a human substance," he said.

"Isn't it a myth though?" Jacob asked.

The adults glanced at each other.

"Oh boy." Billy sighed. "It isn't. A few years back, there was a war in a land called Ishbal, and most of the alchemist got a fake stone made from the real one. After the war, all was taken back and the stone was lost." he said.

"Why would Victoria want the stone?" Alice frowned.

"We don't know," Mustang admitted. "But we do know that if the homunculi join with her, we don't stand a fighting chance."

"Speaking of which, Lust and Gluttony passed by today while we were in a restaurant. We don't know how much she heard." Billy said.

"Right, Armstrong will be here when the boys get here. I've been having him follow them secretly."

Hawkeye, Billy and Charlie all laughed. "Why are you asking Armstrong to follow them? He stands out like a sore thumb." Billy said.

Mustang ignored them. "I also want you two of you to be aware of Scar." Mustang said gravely.

"He was spotted in a few towns over," Chief Swan said, showing them a picture. "He is targeting all state alchemists."

"But wouldn't a vampire and a werewolf be able to beat him?" Alice asked.

Mustang shook his head. "You are not to try," he instructed them sternly.

"Do you think he will join Victoria?" Billy asked.

"No, he just wants revenge after Resunbul. Speaking of which, did Carlisle talk to-?"

"No," Charlie said, eyeing the kids and cutting him off.

Mustang pursed his lips. "Now is more crucial then ever. If he doesn't you need to, Charlie-"

They talked a bit more before calling it a night. On the edge of town, a boy with a blond braid and red coat stood with a big metal robot, stopping to take in the view.

"Well Al, we're here. Let's see if we can find Carlisle."

This is turning to be more complex then I imagined